Chapter 30: Night Talk

The following morning while eating breakfast F/N notices that Mine is having a hard time. One of her arms is in a sling as a result of it being broken from the previous night's events. F/N decides that he should help Mine since she is having such a hard time. He says, "Mine let me help you."

Mine: "I am not a baby F/N. I can feed myself."

F/N: "I told you before that you need to rely on people sometimes. I know that you can feed yourself, but you are having a hard time because of your injury. Let me help you. I don't mind and that way you can eat the food before it gets cold."

Mine: "Alright fine. You win."

F/N picks up one of Mine's utensils and begins to feed her the food that is on her plate. With F/N's aid she is able to eat much faster. As he is helping Mine eat, F/N notices that Akame is staring at them. He is a little unsure why she is staring at the two of them, as she has never shown much interest in what F/N has been doing before. He decides it is probably nothing and ignores it.

That night F/N wakes up hungry and decides to head to the kitchen to get a snack. As he reaches the kitchen he overhears that Akame and Tatsumi are in the kitchen.

Tatsumi: "Are you getting a late night snack Akame?"

Akame: "No these were Sheele's favorite. I made them in memory of her. Since our operations are done in secret her name is probably not in any of the Revolutionary Army record books, so I do this to hold on to her. She may have been absent minded, but she was the kindest member of the team."

Tatsumi: "I have to say Akame, you are handling this really well. You are so calm. I guess that with all the people you have seen die you are probably used to it though."

As soon as the words leave Tatsumi's mouth F/N hears a plate shatter. He then hears Akame in tears.

Akame: "You think I am used to it. Sure maybe I have seen more people die than I care to admit. But this, this you never get used to. You just hide it and finish the mission. We are assassins, Tatsumi. We have to switch things on and off."

At this point F/N sees Tatsumi punch himself in the face and fall to the ground.

Akame: "Tatsumi why did you do that?"

Tatsumi: "Sorry I just needed to get my head on straight. Listen Akame I am going to survive this war, so that you never have to cry for me. I promise you Akame that I am not going to die so that I will never make you cry again. Let's see the new world together."

Akame: "I would like that Tatsumi."

F/N is somewhat touched by Tatsumi's sentiment. He noticed that Leone came up during the conversation and was also eavesdropping on Tatsumi and Akame. Thinking that it would be best if he went in and talked to the two of them as well, F/N heads into the kitchen to talk to the two of them.

F/N: "Hey you two. I overheard what you were talking about. Listen Tatsumi, there is a key thing you don't understand about this job. Being an assassin is more than just killing people. It is more than just finishing a mission. Every single time you complete a mission you are claiming someone's life. Every time you are causing people to hurt just like you and Akame are hurting right now. Never forget that. If you do then you are no different than Zanku, or any of the other serial killers in the world."

Tatsumi: "Do you think of that every time you complete a mission?"

F/N: "Yes I do. I try to commit to my memory the image of every person that I kill. I have killed a lot so I don't remember most of them anymore. I always think right after I kill a person that I may have just taken the life of someone's father or mother. I may have just killed someone that was dearly loved by someone. I never take a life without thinking of what it really means."