Chapter 28: The Headhunter Part 2

After finding that Tastumi has vanished, F/N starts to look for him. While F/N is running around looking for Tatsumi he notices the smell of blood in the air. Figuring this is a good place to look F/N heads towards the location that he smells the blood coming from. As he runs F/N also notices that the moon has turned blood red, which is a sure sign that blood has been spilled somewhere nearby.

After spending several minutes searching, F/N hears a battle going on and heads to it. When F/N arrives he sees Tatsumi covered in cuts including a large one across his back. F/N figures this large one must have just been acquired. A large man F/N assumes to be Zanku is running towards Tatsumi. The man is equipped with a katar on each of his arms. F/N prepares an arrow on his bow and lets it fire at the man. As he did not want to hit Tatsumi on the off chance the man dodged the arrow, the arrow was aimed at the man's leg. It pierces straight through it. At this point F/N jumps down to finish the man off with his sword, to avoid hitting Tatsumi, with a stray arrow.

Zanku turns around after being hit with the arrow in the leg to see F/N coming at him. F/N observes that there is an eyeball type headband around his head. This F/N assumes to be Zanku's Teigu. Zanku is able to easily deflect the attacks that F/N sends at him. In addition, F/N receives several scratches from Zanku's katars, but they are not serious. After this short exchange of blows F/N backs up seeing that he will not be able to get through Zanku's defense at the moment.

F/N: "You just stay over there Tatsumi I will finish him off and then get you bandaged up."

Tatsumi yells: "His Teigu allows him to read people's minds!"

Zanku: "That's right. It does not matter how fast you are. You will never hit me. If I had known you were coming that arrow would not have even hit me."

F/N: "So you have Spectator. It does not matter much to me if you can read my mind. Your combat skill is clearly below mine, otherwise you would have already killed me."

Zanku: "Who exactly are you? I don't believe I recognize you from a wanted poster for Night Raid."

F/N: "I am rather new. Although I was raised to be an assassin all my life and have completed hundreds of missions successfully."

Zanku: "So you have killed a lot of people in your life. Tell me, how do you deal with the voices? I personally just talk to drown them out."

F/N: "What do you mean?"

Zanku: "I hear all the voices of those that I have killed crying up from hell. They ask me to join them."

F/N: "I don't hear any voices."

Zanku: "Really? I assumed an experienced killer like you would hear them as well."

At this point Zanku uses one of his Teigu's special powers called clearsight to see through F/N's clothes. He sees multiple concealed weapons. These include the throwing knives F/N has as well as his dagger. When his eyes hit the key in F/N's pocket he gets curious about what it is. However, he is fairly sure it is not a weapon. He decides to take a closer look once F/N is dead.

Before Zanku is able to finish his search F/N rushes at him. Zanku tries to read F/N's mind only to find that it is blank. This however, does not stop Zanku as he uses his Teigu's ability foresight to predict the moves that F/N will make. He is slightly slow in reacting though as F/N aims at the side he already hit with an arrow. This allows the first of F/N's blows to connect, cutting Zanku across the cheek. The rest of the blows are blocked by Zanku.

As the two continue to trade blows, Zanku wonders what F/N is trying to do as he feels like F/N is attacking randomly. Then Zanku realizes that is exactly what F/N is doing. He knows that Zanku can read his moves, but figures with enough attacks eventually Zanku will tire and that is when he will lose. Now that he knows what F/N is trying to do Zanku pushes F/N back, and backs away.

F/N begins to pursue him, but then stops in his tracks as in the place of where Zanku was standing an image starts to appear. F/N thinks, "Zanku is starting to use Spectator's Illusionary sight. I better close my eyes so I won't know who it is that appears. I can guess that either Akame or Kurome is going to appear. I doubt I can bring myself to kill either of them so it is better I not see who it is." At this moment F/N closes his eyes before the image fully materializes.

Tatsumi: "F/N, what are you doing. You need to attack him, don't just stand there with your eyes closed."

Zanku: "It is useless. Right now he is seeing a vision of the person he cares most about in this world. No matter how good of a killer he is, no one can kill the person they care most about. While I can only use this power on one person at a time it is highly hypnotic."

Tatsumi: "That must be why I saw Sayo."

F/N: "Actually I am not seeing anything right now. My eyes are closed."

Zanku: "Well that is kind of clever, but it will not matter since you are still blind to what is going on."

F/N puts his hand next to his dagger getting ready to strike. He knows that since he cannot see what is going to happen that he will need to rely on his hearing. F/N starts to hear the sound of someone moving towards him. He knows that the image of whoever Spectator is trying to show him is running at him. F/N waits until the last second and draws his dagger thrusting it into the space before him.

With the thrust of the dagger F/N opens his eyes to see the image shattered and Zanku standing before him. F/N sees that his dagger is embedded in one of Zanku's katars, which is breaking. F/N pushes down on his dagger breaking the katar completely.

Zanku: "What the heck? You were supposed to see an image of the person that you care most about in the world."

F/N: "I told you that my eyes were closed. I could not see anything so it did not matter who Spectator tried to show me. If I cannot see who I am striking then it does not matter if I care about them or not."

Zanku: "You should have instantly seen the image when I used the Illusionary sight, so there should not have been a chance for you to not know who appeared."

F/N: "Perhaps you are right. I think the problem is that I have several people that I care about almost equally. I don't even know for sure who should have shown up. I guess this made it take a second for the image to form. Now that your weapon is broke you are going to die."

As soon as F/N says this he rushes forward at Zanku. Even reading F/N's mind and using foresight Zanku sees that nothing can prevent what is coming. Zanku blocks with his one remaining katar as best he can, but gets hit over and over, until F/N's sword slices throw his neck.

With the slicing of F/N's sword through Zanku's neck the large headhunter falls over. He lies there dying on the ground. Zanku says, "The voices are finally gone. You have freed me from them. Thank you F/N." With these last words Zanku draws his final breath and dies. F/N proceeds to walk over to the dead man and pulls Spectator off of his head.

Now that the Teigu is secure, F/N goes over to check on Tatsumi. He finds that Tatsumi is not as badly hurt as F/N originally thought. Since Tatsumi seems to be alright, F/N has the two of them head back to base to tell the boss that the mission is done. On the way back Tatsumi asks, "Who did you see when Zanku used Spectator?"

F/N: "I really don't know who was going to appear. My guess is that it was going to be a member of the Elite Seven, but I cannot be sure."

Tatsumi: "I have heard you guys mention them before. Who were the Elite Seven?"

F/N: "That is the name of the assassin squad that Akame was a part of. They were the seven best children that the Empire bought to be assassins. Their members changed when some of them died, so I don't know exactly who the original seven were. However, the ones that I met were sort of like a family to me even though I did not spend much time with them. I was originally going to be one of them before I got disowned for killing someone that the minister cared about on accident."

Tatsumi: "That's right you mentioned that you got disowned. I guess that you have been an assassin for quite a while without having any guidance on who to kill."

F/N: "That is right. I have just killed whoever I thought was a bad person. That may not be the best method, but at least I was getting rid of bad people in the world. I only killed murders and rapists. It worked well for me. I have to say that having a team is kind of nice though. I am glad that I met Night Raid."

Tatsumi: "I have to say that I am glad too. I feel like we are going to really make this Empire a better place with our efforts."