Chapter 9: Howling Dog Bandits

F/N continues his work as an assassin in the Capital after having completed his assassination of his father's slaver crew. He begins to get very rich as a result of all the targets that he eliminates. At times he even receives requests from people to take down certain targets. Since no one has any idea who he is these requests are usually left as pieces of paper that reference one of his past assassinations. Then they ask him to eliminate a certain person. After he has completed the job he will find a reward the next day in the same location he found the paper at that he assumes is from the person that gave him the contract.

Other than the informal contracts that F/N takes on, he sticks to assassinating people that he hears about and he judges as bad people. While doing this does not always get him much money, since some of the targets are actually quite poor, it does give F/N something to do. That is enough for F/N as he does not really need money since he lives off the meat of the beasts he kills in the forest.

After almost three years have gone by with F/N working as a private assassin in the Capital he receives a job request that is not like any other he has gotten before. Unlike most of the requests that he receives, the mission is for him to rescue a girl named Anne that has been kidnapped by some bandits. F/N does not plan on taking the job at first, however he decides he may as well check out the area that the paper mentions to see how evil the bandits actually are.

When F/N arrives at the mountain fort that the paper he found mentions he climbs up a wall to the fort. He is horrified at the scene before him. There are close to fifty girls tied up in the courtyard of the fort the bandits are using. Each girl has only sack cloth on her, and they are all covered in scars from beatings. Looking closer F/N determines that several of the girls tied up are already dead. This appears to be the kind of job that F/N would like to take, so he decides to stick around to see if he can learn anything.

Not long after F/N arrives at the fort, he sees several men he assumes to be bandits leading a pack of dogs into the courtyard. One of the men says as he releases the leashes he is holding to the dogs, "Go ahead and eat up." The dogs run forward to the bodies of the dead girls and start to devour them. Knowing what is coming F/N turns his head so that he does not have to watch the gruesome scene taking place in the courtyard. As the dogs are feeding the bandits begin to talk.

Bandit 1: "It is a good thing that we trained these dogs to only attack the dead ones. This makes cleaning up much easier. Also the dogs seem to enjoy getting fresh meat."

Bandit 2: "Yeah we have a good thing going here. We abduct girls, have our fun with them while also putting a ransom on their heads. When the parents pay up, we kill the parents and take the money. Then we can keep having our fun with the girls until they die. Once they die we just feed them to the dogs and repeat. I don't know why all bandits don't do this."

Bandit 3: "If they did it we would not be so infamous as the Howling Dog bandit crew."

Bandit 2: "I guess you are right. Life is good this way though."

Bandit 1: "You got that right."

F/N thinks: "Well they made it easy to determine if I should kill them or not. I can finish this job before the day is even over now. I bet there are more of them inside the fort. However, they don't seem to have much combat experience. I would guess it is the same story for most of the crew. They said those dogs were trained to eat dead bodies, I wonder if I kill one of them if the dogs will go after that body. I may as well find out."

F/N slowly raises himself from the position he is in, so that he can easily see the bandits again. He draws his bow back and aims for the man that was originally holding the dog's leashes. F/N lets the arrow go and watches as it soars true and punctures straight through the bandit's chest. The other two bandits with him notice their comrade now has an arrow sticking out of his chest and raise the alarm to find the intruder. F/N was expecting that, but he is also hoping the dogs will cause a commotion for him to allow him to kill some more targets.

As more bandits rush into the courtyard from inside the base, the first of the dogs notices the killed bandit. It rushes at the dead body to start to eat it. The other dogs soon join in feasting on the bandit's body. The other bandits do not seem to be overly concerned about their comrade getting eaten, which is disappointing to F/N. However, he acts quickly to draw his bow and shoot down two more of the bandits in quick succession.

With the deaths of two more of their comrades the bandits are able to locate where the arrows are coming from. Several of the bandits rush towards where F/N fired from, only to be killed by arrows that F/N fires off at them quickly. F/N continues to fire his bow at the bandits until he has exhausted his supply of twenty arrows. Each arrow was used to kill one bandit. Despite having killed twenty of the bandits, there are still more to come.

Now that he is out of arrows, F/N draws his sword knowing that he must use it now to kill his approaching targets. A group of three bandits reaches F/N first. As each of them raises their weapons to strike, F/N dodges and delivers a swift cut with his katana. One after the next all three of the bandits die without leaving a scratch on F/N. The next three waves of bandits die in exactly the same fashion.

Having killed forty bandits in total now, F/N looks down to see that there are still more remaining. A group of five of them is rushing at F/N when one of the bandits calls out, "Stop. We can talk this out."

Bandit: "You really think we can talk him into not killing us boss?"

Bandit Leader: "Of course we can. Every man has a price he will accept to do something. I am just going to buy this boy off. So boy what is it that you want? Do you want money, or women? We can happily give you either or both in exchange for our lives."

F/N: "So you want to buy me off is that it?"

Bandit Leader: "Exactly. So name your price."

F/N: "I am a simple person, there is not much I want in this world. Lucky for you there is something you can offer me that I am interested in having."

Bandit Leader: "See men we can reason with him. So tell us what it is that you want?"

Tied up Girl: "Don't listen to him, he is just trying to trick you. As soon as you turn your back they will kill you."

Bandit Leader: "Quiet girl, or we will let the dogs eat you alive! Now boy what do you want?"

F/N: "To kill all of you."

Before the bandit leader, or any of the bandits have time to react, F/N jumps down from the wall he is on and attacks them. Before the bandits even have time to raise their weapons, F/N has killed three more of them. The remaining bandits all rush at F/N with the various weapons that they have. Seeing that he is outnumbered, F/N draws several of his throwing knives and throws them into the necks of some of the approaching bandits to thin their numbers to a manageable amount. He then kills the remaining bandits that are rushing towards him.

As the last bandit falls with a blow from F/N's katana to his neck, F/N notices the only bandit left standing is the bandit leader. He appears to be better trained then the other men. F/N is still pretty sure the man does not know how to fight well enough to put up much of a fight. The bandit leader mumbles under his breath, "Kids these days. Why couldn't he just have taken the money? Everything would have been fine had he just taken some money."

F/N does not really care to hear the bandit leader mumbling anymore and rushes at him. The bandit leader draws two swords, one from each hip, to use against F/N. Even with the two swords to F/N's one the bandit leader is quickly at a disadvantage as F/N cuts off one of his arms. The bandit leader raises his other arm to strike, only to have that arm cut off as well. Now that the bandit leader has been disarmed, F/N drives his katana into the man's heart ending the short battle between the two of them.

With the last of the bandits outside dead, F/N heads inside the fort to see if there are any bandits left inside. He finds six bandits inside, all guarding a room that is full of gold and other valuable items. F/N kills all of these bandits without much effort. He leaves the gold alone and heads back out of the fort having verified that all of the bandits are dead.