thirty-nine

╔═══════════════════╗

"𝙅𝙐𝙎𝙏 𝘼 𝙎𝙀𝙇𝙁𝙄𝙎𝙃,
𝙎𝙋𝙊𝙄𝙇𝙏 𝙇𝙄𝙏𝙏𝙇𝙀 𝘽𝙍𝘼𝙏."

╚═══════════════════╝

"𝐌𝐎𝐋, 𝐖𝐀𝐈𝐓!" Cory called through the corridor as he spotted the small brunette that moved with the determination that could only belong to his sister. Catching up to her, he raised his eyebrows. "Bloody hell, you look like The Walking Dead."

"Very funny." Mollie rolled her eyes at his attempt to tease her. "Rather that than smell like Shrek's swamp. Is that where you disappeared off to last night?"

"Splitting my sides with laughter, Mol." Cory quipped back, before growing somewhat sheepish and scratching the back of his head. "Actually-"

Mollie groaned, taking his hesitation as an answer in itself. Although, his messy uniform probably should have been a giveaway in and of itself.

"You know what, don't finish that sentence. The less I know the better." She scrunched her face up in disgust, shaking her head quickly as if to dispel the disturbing thoughts from her mind. There was just certain things that a sister does not need to think about.

As they walked, Mollie quickly checked to make sure no one was near before lowering her voice slightly. "Look, um, this month's bills arrived this morning."

"And?"

"I think we'll scrape by just about." Mollie muttered. "But we need more food, and God knows we can't keep going to the food bank if we don't have the food vouchers."

Cory sighed, hearing the worry that was laced through Mollie's voice. He was worried too, but he did his best to put on a brave face for her sake and gave her the most convincing smile he could. "I'll sort it, okay? I'll...think of something."

"Sounds convincing." Mollie mumbled sarcastically, though deep down she greatly appreciated Cory's willingness to help. "Just don't do anything stupid, and we'll be fine."

"What makes you think I'd do something stupid?" He asked, an exasperation scoff falling from his lips, though it didn't take him long to reconsider his question. "Actually, don't answer that. Just trust me."

Mollie chuckled as they walked down the corridor towards the Sixth Form Hub. Just as she reached for the door, she felt Cory grab her arm and pull her back for a moment.

"Look, Mol, I know it's hard right now. But we'll get through this, right?" Cory said quietly, a hopeful smile on his lips.

Even though she could see for herself the faint uncertainty in his chestnut eyes, it would be a lie to say that Mollie didn't appreciate his reassurance. Even for a fleeting moment, it settled the feeling that resided in the pit of her stomach and brought a weak smile to her face.

"'Course." She said with as much conviction as she could muster which, truthfully, wasn't a whole lot. Desperate for a distraction, Mollie was quick to turn back around and swing the door to the Hub open.

Her gaze was instantly drawn to a figure sitting directly in her eyeline, an oh-so familiar figure that she hadn't seen there for what felt like forever.

His dark brown hair was swept upwards in it's trademark quiff and his lips were pulled upwards into a familiar boyish grin, only today he was back in his school uniform for the first time in a while. The only difference was the rigid metal brace that accompanied it around his shoulders.