Texas

I watched 'The Sandlot' for the first time today (10/10 would recommend) so after this story I might do a Benny Rodriguez x reader one.

I told Two-Bit and Steve what I was doing and they were quick to ask questions.

"What are you gonna do?" Steve asked.

"That's the thing, I'm not sure yet," I told them and walked slightly ahead.

"I'm coming with you because my last class is science. Man, I hate science," Two-Bit expressed.

"Alright then why not," Steve said.

We walked out of the school doors like we were a million bucks and headed down the street to the Curtis house.

We hung out there all afternoon and watched some old movie that was on the TV.
------------------

I woke up to my Alarm clock ringing. It's 7 in the morning. I have the day off school beacause I'm being questioned at 10. Which was good beacause I didn't finish the english project.

I hit my alarm clock and went back to sleep for an hour like any sane person would do, then I got dressed and headed over to the Curtis house.

I have been in Tulsa long enough to know that the Curtis's door is never locked so I just opened the door. Darry walked out from the kitchen to check who it was.

"Hey Darry," I attempted a smile.

"Hey little Dallas," he walked over and gave me a hug, which kind of took me off guard.

"You ok?" I asked him.

"I'm fine," He turned away.

"Darry," I insisted. He sighed and sat down on the couch.

"It's all my fault," he sighs.

"Don't blame yourself Darry. It's not your fault... You know who you remind me of?" I asked.

"Who,"

"Ponyboy. After I got hurt in the drive in. He kept blaming himself no matter what we told him," I smiled.

"But that's different. That wasn't his fault," Darry looked up at me.

"And this isn't yours, trust me," I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks y/n. Now, do you want some breakfast?" he asked.

"I would love some, thank you," Darry stood up and walked back into the kitchen. I followed him.

---------------------------------------------------------

The cops come to the house a little after 10 and knock on the door. The whole gang is here now but Darry is the one who opened the door.

"Hello officer," he said.

"I'm here to take-" the cop sticks his head around the door before continuing "all of you to the police station for questioning on the murder of Robert Sheldon."

Everyone walks out of the house and sees only one police car. "You've got to be shitting with me," Dally mutters under his breath.

"umm, I can take a like four of you but the rest will have to walk behind the car," the cop scratches the back of his head.

"Alright Soda and Darry should go because they're Pony's brothers," Dally points out.

"But then y/n should come too, she is  his girlfriend," Soda points out.

"And Dally too beacause he is Johnny's... Johnny's best friend," I ramble.

I mentally face-plam myself "Real smooth y/n," I whisper.

We get in the car and start driving. About 5 minutes later Dally starts chuckling.

"What you giggling about?" I asked.

"It's just, this is probably not the first time that I've been in the back of this car," He laughs.

"Oh shut up Dal," Soda chuckles from the other side of me.

We get to the police station and the officer takes us into a waiting room. They call us in one by one and get released about 10 minutes later. It goes alphabetically by last name so Dally and I have to wait the longest.

After what seems like forever, Dally comes out of the interrogation room and they call me in.

Before I go in Dally whispers to me "Say that they are headed to Texas,"

There was a different cop sitting at one side of the table and an empty chair on the other side. He beckoned for me to sit down so I do.

"Miss Winston, please tell us what you remember from the night of the crime," he asked.

He said 'us' despite him being the only other person in the room. Which means that someone is watching from behind the extremely obvious double sided mirror.

"Well, we were at the drive in. I left early and I heard the news the next morning," I lied but didn't show it. A trick I learned from Dally.

"That's it?" the cop asked.

I nodded my head.

"Do you have any idea where Mr. Curtis and Mr. Cade have gone to?" he raised his eyebrows.

I sigh "There are some rumours... Rumours that they are heading to Texas."

He asked me if I believed these rumours and I told him that I did.

"You can go now Ms. Winston," the cop writes furiously on a piece of paper and I walk out of the door.