Unprepared

When I was walking to school the next morning I heard someone calling my name. "Y/N WAIT!" the voice said.

I turned around and saw Ponyboy running towards me. "Hey stud," I laughed.

Ponyboy slowed down beside me. "I was gonna surprise you by walking you to school but there was no answer when I knocked," he explained.

"Aw really? Ponyboy Curtis, you romantic," I smiled and slid my hand into his.

"So it's your first day back at school. How are you feeling?" I asked.

Ponyboy sighed "I'm kinda dreading it," he said and looked down.

"You'll be alright," I squeezed his hand  to reassure him "No one will recognise you with the blond hair anyways," I laughed.

"That was the plan," he said as we walked into school.

He walked me to school for the rest of the week, we talked about anything and everything. Until Friday, where the only topic of conversation was the hearing.

——–———————————————

Saturday morning, I woke up and got dressed. I put on a nice dress that Dally... "Bought" for me right before he left New York. Only took 4 years for it to fit me but whatever. I also threw on some red heels but then decided if this date was going to be anything like the last then I should probably change it for my new red converse.

I sighed and looked in the mirror

I sighed and looked in the mirror. I knew what would happen if the trial didn't go the right way. Ponyboy and Soda would get shipped off to a boy's home god knows where. The gang would be ripped apart and Darry would blame himself for everything.

I shook my head and tried not to think about that "focus on the date
Y/n," I thought to myself as I applied some red lipstick.

I still don't know why Ponyboy insisted on taking me on a date so soon after, everything. I wondered if it his way of being optimistic about the trial.

My thinking was disrupted by a knock at the door. I ran down the stairs and opened it. Ponyboy was there, in a suit. I was surprised beacause he was supposed to be at the courthouse in an hour, this was the last place I expected to see him.

"Hey Darlin," He smiled.

"Hi, why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be on your way to court?" I asked. Not gonna lie, I was a little flustered. Pony looked really handsome in that suit.

"Yeah, I came you get you. Dally did tell you that you're gonna be called up to the stand, right?" he said.

No, it must've slipped old Dallas's mind. I'll talk to him about that later. "Uh, no! Man, my stomach is churning like a water mill," I said, hand over my stomach.

"Yeah, imagine how I feel," Ponyboy chuckled. My expression dropped and the realisation kicked in. I felt bad for being nervous when Ponyboy's whole life rested on this hearing.

"I'll be down in a second, alright?" I said and ran up the stairs. I grabbed a purse, shoved some money and my lipstick into it and checked myself in the mirror. It would have to do, I suppose.

We started walking to the Curtis house. "You look really pretty by the way," Ponyboy muttered and snaked an arm around my waist.

I looked him up and down "Yeah? And you should wear suits more often," I giggled.

Ponyboy widened his eyes "You don't think I look to 'socy'?"

"Please, a soc with that much hair grease?" I laughed as we crossed the road to the Curtis house.

——————————————————

When we walked in the door I could hear chattering and a girls voice from the kitchen. The whole gang was there, Dally, Two-Bit, Darry, Cherry, Soda- Wait. CHERRY?