Grounded

A few days later I decided that I hated being grounded.

Ponyboy wrote me a letter and dropped it in the mailbox with a flower. It was very cute and had me thinking of him all day.

In the letter he told me all about how Johnny's parents were not making planning the funeral easy beacause they wanted to do it themselves. Apparently Darry sorted it out as he always does.

In the letter he also told me about how he was going back to school on Monday. Seeing him in school would definately make this "grounded" thing alot easier.

——————————————————

The Day before the funeral, Dally picked me up from school.

"Hey Dal, Stole Buck's car again?" I asked as I hopped in the passenger seat.

"Yeah. He told me that his friend from college is coming into town so I can't crash at the bar no more. I borrowed his car as payback," He smiled but I could see he was a little worried about where he was gonna live.

"Man, I didn't even know that Buck went to collage," I muttered before acctually talking. "Hey wanna move in with us? We have a spare room and my dad would love it," I asked him.

I'd love it too to be honest. Dally is my best friend and he's like a brother to me. I hate to see him so sad since the night I found him trying to shoot up the convenience store.

"You sure? I wouldn't wanna frighten your dad if I get in trouble with the fuzz and they pound on the door," he laughs.

"Do you honestly not remember that it was my dad who collected you from the police station the first time you were brought in? Man, I remember that like it was yesterday and I was only 6!" I laughed with him.

Sometimes I think that Dally forgets about his life in New York. Hell, I barely remember it and I only moved here a month ago.

Dally doesn't drive me straight home, he brings us to a little diner near the Drive-In. When I remind him about how I'm grounded he looks at me all disappointed and said. "I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that,"

The diner was nice and I tried to subtly ask if Dally was going to the funeral but after he didn't catch what I was trying to say, I decided to drop it.

When he finally did bring me home, my dad was still at work. Thank god.

I didn't bother doing any homework and just went to bed. Tomorrow was going to be hard enough without added tiredness.