Chapter Forty-Four

Bennett's eyes widened seeing Seth and two of the most feared humans in the kingdom of darkness.

Bennett swallowed.

'Were they here to finally take him out?'

"Relax Bennett." And much to everyone's surprise, Seth walked right past him to the pillar where Betty had been tied down.

"What are you doing?"

"You guys are free." Seth told him locking eyes with him.

Bennett's brows creased in confusion.

Weren't they the least bit anxious?

He could turn on them any second. Claire was still in the tent looking at him. His heart warmed a bit remembering her embrace.

Was this truly it? Could he really leave Fil if he wanted?

There would surely be repercussions to pay, Bennet knew but for now, he would stay here with Claire.

He hadn't been paying any attention before but as Claire held the tray closely to herself, he noticed her fingers.

Bennet swallowed looking away.

Guilt ate him up whole.

Her fingers had been chopped off irregularly.

Though they'd long since healed, he could still remember her screams when he'd cut them off one by one.

He'd left the bloody stubs at varying lengths, as though to mock her.

Now all he could feel was self-loathing.

Was it really his mother he'd hated or himself?

Bennet noticed that there were band aids around them now.

"What happens now?" Bennett finally said looking meaningfully at the trio.

They were truly a sight to behold—the head of the cherished and two of the three.

Gloria walked up to him, a slight smile on her face.

"I want to talk to you about someone."

Bennet raised a brow. He glanced at her twin, Seth then he turned his gaze back to her.

"Who?"

"Jesus." The name immediately brought about an unpleasant feeling in his guts. He unconsciously glanced at his mother.

It was the one thing he'd vowed to destroy, anything and anyone that belonged to Him.

Now it looked like he had to review his vow.

If He truly was the one who saved her from their father and the cult then he would like to know more about Him.

He would like to know what was so special about Him that made his mother dare leave.

{¶{¶{¶{¶}

William was staring at Bennett.

He was talking to Claire.

Bennett looked almost like a different person.

Was this really the same guy?

He kept staring at his mother and hung unto every word she said.

Sometimes he would smile, sometimes he would laugh but most times he just stared at her in awe.

William had arrived at the tent a few minutes ago at Seth's call.

The air was still cold from the rain and it gave the environment a very nostalgic feel.

The path leading to the secret hideout was a bit damp.