Chapter Two

It was Wednesday, yet another busy day at work.

Will checked the time—work officially started by eight.

It was 7:30. He still had about half an hour to kill.

He entered 'Joes', the breakfast and lunch place he ate every morning.

Why?

Because he was too lazy to cook in the morning, that's why.

He got his order and sat down at the table closest to the door. Every minute counted.

He leaned down to take a bite of his food.

His hair shuffled forward with his movements and shielded his blue eyes for a moment—thankfully, it didn't get into his mouth though.

Soon, a waitress came over to his table. She smiled at him, he returned it.

"Do you need anything else, sir?" She was smiling ear to ear and seemed to have a light blush dusting her cheeks.

Oblivious to her obvious interest, he just answered,

"No, I'm good. Thanks." The door opened again and another woman came in.

Will's heart went haywire.

Hope looked as rattled as she always did every morning.

Her cheeks were flushed and her hair looked like it would bust out of the small band she'd held it with.

She greeted everyone she met and Will felt the string that held his heart grow tauter by the second.

"Hope." He breathed.

As if she'd heard him, she turned suddenly and her eyes met his, then she did something that made him almost pass out right where he was-

She smiled. . .at him.

He didn't think his heart had ever beat that fast in his life.

She even waved before going to get her order. Hope had always been a regular at Joe's but he almost always leaves before she came in.

He must have been distracted this morning.

Say something, you idiot!

She never ate there but bought whatever she wanted and took it to the office with her.

She was just about leaving the place; with her takeouts in hand when he came to his senses.

He stumbled out the door with her and nearly flattened her.

She gasped about to fall but he caught both her and the food.

Will's eyes were wide as he held her. His right hand was secured around her waist and his left held her takeout.

They were right outside the restaurant but they both seemed lost.

Up close, her eyes were like melted chocolate, fuzzy and warm.

She was blushing. Her eyes were wide as she stared up into his blue depths.

She exhaled.

The door closed behind them and it was as though he'd been brought back from a dream to reality.

He redrew his hands from her faster than you could blink and awkwardly cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry." He hated that his neck and cheeks were starting to tingle with heat.

What was he, fourteen?

He chanced a look at her and realized that he wasn't the only one. She was also blushing, fiercely.