Chapter Fifteen

Hope closed her eyes and stretched forth her hand towards her. Betty's eyes widened.

Hope commanded fire and it fell and consumed her. A shriek tore through the night as Betty alternated between her human form and the smoke.

"Get out." Hope seethed.

A force beyond her sent her flying out of the room, back to wherever it was she came from.

{¶{¶{¶{¶{¶}

"Yes mother," Laura answered over the phone.

"He took a leave from work,"

Laura listened to what she had to say—their mother was worried and understandably so.

"It's okay mum, he'll be back in a few weeks," Laura assured.

"A few weeks? I won't see my baby in weeks? He's not even answering his phone—"

"Mother," Laura sighed,

"He'll be fine. He always is."

Laura could feel her mother holding back a response—their mum has always had a soft spot for William.

She wasn't the type to get jealous but sometimes, it's hard considering how much affection she shows Will.

Without a doubt though, Laura loved him and he loved her.

He'd treated her with such care while growing up together, even when their father had been at his worst.

She knew she had no right to be jealous.

Will took the belts they should have shared and the slaps she should have received. Laura loved her brother and she would do anything for him.

Laura didn't want to make their mother worry, so she'd told her something else instead—that he was away on leave.

Will was missing and no one had a clue as to where, not even the cherished.

"I'll call you soon mother. Bye."

"Okay dear, I love you." Laura's heart squeezed softly,

"I love you too mum." The line went dead.

Laura looked exactly like their mum, it was uncanny.

Laura sighed.

Where are you, Will?

It's been two days since he'd been reported missing by the cherished. Everyone had been out looking for him, those like herself chosen to serve in God's army.

Pastor Feranmi had led the search and had sought God's face on the issue.

It had been confirmed right away that Will was now in the enemy's territory.

The pastor had looked at Laura in pity after telling her but she refused to give up. Definitely, it was something she could never tell her mother.

Will was going to come back. She was sure of it. The devil had no right to hold him, but she knew that the mark on his palm was right enough.

She missed him but she'd hidden so much from him. She'd known about everything going on in the background for years but hadn't wanted to burst his bubble of innocence and content.

She'd known about the concession.

Hope met regularly with her and it was always obvious on her face how affected she was by Will's memory loss.