Chapter Five

He grabbed Berry's leash and sped-walked to the park. He found a tree to sit under and tried regulating his breathing.

He'd seen her. That couldn't have been his imagination.

Will leaned back and felt the rough texture of the tree trunk rubbing against his back.

He leaned his head against the tree and closed his eyes. He could feel Berry pulling at the leash beside him as he sniffed around him, probably looking for squirrels.

Not too far from where he sat, he could hear a group of women talking as they exercised. To his right, he could hear a father and his son playing 'catch'.

His hands came to rest on the neatly trimmed grass beneath him. The grass gave way to the weight of his hands, bending every which way. He needed the distraction.

Will sighed.

He needed to find that woman because he was starting to go crazy.

He had to. He couldn't go on not knowing what happened to her.

"I wish I remember you," Will mumbled to himself.

"I'm going to find out what happened to you. I promise." Will opened his eyes just as the south wind blew his hair into them.

He sighed, sitting up.

He spent the rest of his afternoon, just observing people living their lives, while he felt like he was stuck in the past.

He'd unleashed Berry a while ago and was worried that he might have gotten lost.

He stood up, dusting his behind and stretching his legs. He adjusted his glasses and grabbed the leash.

He walked across the park calling out Berry's name.

"Excuse me, have you seen my dog?" He asked a couple nestled under an oak tree, quietly enjoying their picnic.

"He's alsatian and has a rather obvious brown streak on his tail." Will quickly added not wanting to intrude more on their private moment than necessary.

Sometimes, he wished he had someone like that to talk to, of course, he had Matt, but it was different. He craved a female companion.

The man affirmed that he'd seen Berry a while back and soon pointed towards the south end of the park.

Will thanked them both and continued on to his destination.

A smile of relief crossed his lips when he saw Berry's tail peeking out from behind a tree.

What was he doing, interrogating a squirrel?

The dog was so preoccupied with what he was doing that he didn't realize that Will was right behind him.

"Gotcha!" Will crouched down grabbing him from the side.

He heard a startled yelp.

Surprised, Will turned his head in the direction of the sound only to see Hope's honey brown eyes staring bewilderedly up at him. Her hand was on Berry's head, she'd been petting him.

"You startled me," She looked down at Berry, "is he yours?"

Will was short of words, so he only nodded.

He took her in- it was refreshing seeing her outside the office and out of work clothes.

She was wearing a flower printed gown and had a straw hat on to keep her face from the sun. She was resting against the oak tree looking aesthetic like a finished art piece.