16 - A New Friend

"Alex could you pass me the glue gun" Hailey asks. We arrived at her house about 45 minutes ago and we seated ourselves in the living room around a little coffee table. I was doing the painting while Hailey was finishing up the model of Romeo.

"yeah sure" I reply and hand it to her.

She has been less like her usual self and is actually cool to be around when she wants to be. She hasn't yelled or called me a twerp in almost an hour, if that isn't improvement then I don't know what is!

"annddddd.....done!" Hailey cheered as she stick romeo in his position on the sugar board.

"now for me to paint the rest of it then we'll be finished" I reminded her and I see her face slightly drop. I let out a chuckle at her quick change in emotions. She looks over at me and starts laughing too, next thing you know we're laughing our asses off.

"you know, you're pretty cool" she says out of blue.

"yeaa I know " I shrug my shoulders.

"well somebody's pretty confident huh" she asks, a big million dollar smile on her face.

"a lil bit " I reply showing her how much using my thumb and pointer finger. "now come help me paint so we can be done with this will you?" I tease her.

"aye aye captain!" she mocks giving me a salute, she grabs a paintbrush and starts painting.

Weird...

~•~
(Hailey's POV)

Who would've thought id actually enjoy spending time with the nerd of the school? Not me! That's for sure. Father's instructions was to help him with assignments not once did he say I had to become friends with Alex.. That happened on its own accord and I can't completely say I regret it....

"earth to Hailey is anybody in there?" I hear Alex ask waving his hand in front of my eyes.

I swat his hand away and scowl at him.

"owww that hurt" he wined

"that's for interrupting my thoughts" I tell him, "what did you want anyways?"

"well if you were paying attention you'd realize that we finished the model about 6 minutes ago" he states.

I look at the project resting on the coffee table in front of me. It looked absolutely gorgeous.

"its a masterpiece " I breath out, still staring at it.

"yeah it really is something " Alex agrees.

After a couple seconds he speaks up "well I guess I'll be going now then" he says taking up his bag.

"you're leaving already?" I blurt out without thinking.

He seems surprised at my question but chooses not to question it. "uh yeah the model is done... That's the reason we ended up here in the first place" he replied gesturing to my house. "and now that the model is done....I was under the impression that I should go home? " he explained more like a question than a statement.

"yeah yeah, my bad... I'll drop you home then" I say fetching my keys.

"no you really don't have to Hailey, I'll be fine " he tries to persuade me.

"it wasn't a question" I say firmly, this seemed to have shut him up. "now come on" I instruct, heading out the door.

~•~
(Alex's POV)

Why is Hailey doing all this? Why the sudden personality swap...why did the richest and most popular person in our gigantic school want to hang out with me? All these thoughts were clouding my brain as Hailey drove me to my house. Does she want something from me? What could I possibly have that Hailey Lena would want!??

"doesn't all that thinking hurt?" Hailey teased.

"you wouldn't know... " I fire back, two can play at this game.

"touché my friend"

"so were friends now?" I question facing her.

She scoffed "normal people would be flattered."

"trust me I am flattered........and confused... mostly confused though" I reply truthfully.

"I guess you'll just have to find out another time" she said as she pulled up at my house.

At first I didn't like the idea of Hailey seeing where I lived, but then I figured if she's gonna accept me as a friend she's gonna have to accept where I live too.

"fine!" I exclaim, getting out of the car.

"hey Alex!" Hailey called after after me.

Oh shoot she probably wants the glasses back, I could barely see shit to do the model so she lent me a pair her father never got to use. I lean on the car door and take of the glasses handing it to her through the car window.

"you can keep it for now...I mean until you get yours replaced"

"really? thank you" I reply, who knows when I'd get a new pair. "so if that's not what you wanted why'd you call me back?" I wondered, now really curious

"Do you suppose I can get your number? " she asked.

Hailey Lena.... Shy? what is the world coming to?

"sure" I say walking to my front door.

"As soon as I get a phone!" I shout over my shoulder and I enter the house closing the front door behind me.

*Thoughts?*

~author