20 - Second Chance

( Alex pov)

"Is everyone with their partners?" Mr smith asks over the loud chatter of the students. Some reply with a 'yes sir' and others just completely ignore him. What am I doing you ask? Neither of the two....since some people isn't down here in the lobby with everyone else as yet! And as you heard we're supposed to be paired up.

"ugh come onnnn" I am getting so frustrated right now everyone is boarding the bus.

"Alexander where is your partner?" Mr smith says coming up to me, register in hand. " I wish I knew sir" I reply pushing my glasses further up my face. After two very awkward minutes the elevator doors open and Hailey steps out not even looking guilty for making everyone wait.

"There she is sir" I point toward Hailey. "okay I'll just mark off the register as everyone is now here........" he trailed off marking our names off the register, " and then you guys can board the bus" I nod in response and he walks off toward the other teacher.

"Took you long enough" I mumble under my breath when she was within earshot. After her little outburst yesterday and her very miserable excuse of an apology.....I've realized that I really don't care what she can do anymore, she can ruin my life all she wants with her money and high status, its not like I've got anything anyways, my life's a mess.

"i need my sleep" I roll my eyes at this, arrogant much.

"whatever let's just get on" I pick up my schoolbag that only had a pencil and the notebook that'd i'd be noting down stuff in for our essay and walk over to the bus.

~•~
"The sky changes from minute to minute. From orange yellow to flamboyant pink, the clouds painted with changing colours as the sun goes down" I mumble quietly to myself as I scribble down the scene in front
of me in my notebook. We visited two places today a sunflower field earlier this afternoon and now we're at a beach and I am currently trying to describe the sunset best as I could but its kinda hard when some annoying person is staring at you like a piece of fried chicken!

"stop that!" I groan ...Hailey has been staring at me for the past 30 minutes it was tolerable at first but enough is enough.

"stop what?" she asks cocking her head to the side.

"staring at me, one of your little friends might see you " I retort. She seems hurt that I brought that back up, maybe she thought I had forgiven her....yeah right.

"are you even taking notes? This is pair work remember?"

"actually yes I did, I've got some from the sunflower field maybe they'll be of some use" she shrugged looking out towards the sunset.

She really did take notes? I was not expecting that. She takes her boots off and positioned herself more comfortably on the sand so that now her knees were drawn up to her body, her hands clasped around them with her head resting on her knee caps. She seems to be in deep thought about something, which is kinda odd since she doesn't usually think about stuff she just does it.

I shut my note book and place it on the sand beside me. I lay on my back and look up towards the sky. Without realizing my thoughts unconsciously drift to my dad. What is he doing right now? Has he ate? Is he passed out on the couch? I still love my father even after all that he's done, mostly because I remember that it wasn't always like this. We used to be insanely happy, mom dad and me. He was always the cooler parent, the type to congratulate their son after winning a fight. I let out a sad chuckle at this....I miss my dad.

"Oi Lena, its time to get back to the hotel" I hear a voice say. I look in the direction the voice came from and see that its one of Hailey's guy friends calling out to her. "what you doing hanging out with the stupid nerd?" he asks her not even bothered that I could hear him.

"oh him? Got paired up with him for the assignment, I can not wait for it to be over!" Hailey complained putting her boots back on.

I snatch up my notebook and walk pass her. Would've thought she felt sorry from the first time to not do it again. Apparently not.

~•~

"This morning was so tiring!" Tony groans as he let himself fall fast first unto the bed. A chuckle escapes my lips and Tony playfully glares at me and flips me off. Its now the next day, our second day at the hotel. Our last destination was a farm, odd I know right but whatever.

Anyways the teachers let us come back to the hotel early as pupils were complaining about the sun or the mud or that a pig was chewing on their designer boots. So yeah it's about 12:00 now and we were given the rest of the afternoon to finish up our essay with our pairs.

I grab my notebook and leave the room telling tony I'd see him later to which he responded to with 'can I get pork please?' That's kinda mean considering he just came back from a farm!

I recite the room number Hailey told me over and over in my head. When i finally found it I knock three times. Mom always said to never knock more than three times something along the lines of it being impolite. A few seconds later Hailey opens the door. She was wearing pajama shorts and an oversized T-shirt. I stare at her not used to seeing her in such laid back clothing...

"you coming in or???" she asked seeming a little creped out.

"uh yea yea" I rush out and pass her entering the room.

There was a Queen sized bed right in the middle of the room and a sofa at one side with a few other stuff. I plop myself down unto the sofa and open my notebook. The sooner we get this done the sooner I can leave, Hailey isn't my favourite person right now.

"could I see your notes from the sunflower field?" I ask not taking my eyes from my book.

"yeah sure " she says handing me her notes. I feel the sofa dip as Hailey sat on the other end. I ignore her and compare our notes, I begin to write the essay......

Okay so Hailey is starting to Freak. Me. Out!!

Its been almost an hour and all she's done is stare at me and offer a few suggestions when I ask her opinion. Why is she staring? Is there something on my face?

Suddenly she scoots closer so that our legs were brushing against each other. Then without any warning she takes the books out of my hands and and place them on the floor.

"w- what are you do- doing Hailey" I stutter out, I am so confused right now.

"nothing" she says looking me directly in the eye.

All of a sudden I feel hands on mine. I look down to see that Hailey has my hands in hers....when did that happen.. I have no idea! I hear her let out a deep sigh and I remove my eyes from our hands to look back up at her.

"look Alex, I'm sorry I'm so very sorry for how I've been acting since we reached here. And I don't blame you for being mad,one minute I'm your friend and the next I'm saying horrible stuff just to keep my status" She pauses and takes a deep breath "I want to get to know you, I want us to be friends it'll just take some time for me to adjust and I'd like it if you'd give me that time..." At this point guys she is literally squeezing my hand so hard I think blood circulation has stopped, seriously!

"Hailey I dont- " she cuts me off

"pleaseee" Hailey pleads, giving the best puppy dog eyes I have ever seen... Wow!

"let me finish..." she nods and I continue "I don't agree with what you did and I was really hurt... however I'm trying to see both sides of the story and I guess you deserve a second chance...everybody does"

"really?...thank you Alex!! I promise I'll make it up to you" she squeals pulling me in a bone crushing hug, which was kinda uncomfortable since we weren't positioned properly and because I never imagined the day Hailey Lena would be hugging me! Still I hugged her back and after a few moments we pull apart.

"soo we should finish this essay now huh" she chuckled.

"yea we should"

After about 6 hours we were finally finished, our essay was perfect and Hailey was very helpful too. I take up my notebook and head toward the door. "see yah later Hailey" I say while opening the door. After a few seconds she finally replied "uh..yea see yah Alex" she gave me a tight lipped smile and closed the door after me.