Chapter 56:- A Life Lost

"...stuck together like superglue right?"

Leon pulled Selena by her hair as she dragged her feet across the ground, leaving dirt tracks on the forest ground. She had initially tried to get up on her feet and try to walk at least but had realised that was wasting her energy. Leon tugged her randomly and handled her extra brought just because he could.

With this realisation, Selena only focussed on taking deep breathes. Meanwhile, she kept trying to connect to Evelyn and Jayce through their mind links.  Try to make as little movement as possible, Selena tried to look backwards to see how her wolves and warriors were doing.

Jayce was still moving a bit. He was coughing up blood, making Selena worry about internal injuries. However, when she saw her beta was trying to move rapidly at random intervals, in an attempt to overpower the hunters holding on to him, she felt a slight relief. At least, he was still holding on mentally, she thought.

Jayce's whole body felt like it was on fire. He was disgusted with the position he was in, manhandled by the hunters... he feared this the most, and for once, he was glad that he had sent Nic away with Ileana.

'Conserve your energy, Jayce,' Selena linked him. Jayce's surprised gasp was the only indication that he heard her, 'Just let go. We need to have some energy left for when we get back to the pack. Try forming a link to the pack, be it Xavier or anyone there.'

'I can't, alpha,' Jayce answered back after a long pause, in a hoarse, weak voice, 'I think Asteria is blocking my link. Wait, how are you linking? And how am I even talking to you?!'

'I think it's Inara.'

'Who?' Selena had long back faced the front again but she could imagine the frown on her beta's face and hoped the hunters would mistake it for him being in pain.

'My witch.'

'Ah, makes sense.'

'Relax Jayce, I will keep trying to contact them.'

Trying to form a link with Evelyn was hard though. Her body was completely limp as one of the hunters carried her like a sack of potatoes over his shoulder.

'Eve, c'mon girl, talk to me.'

No response.

She sighed. Her focus on connecting to Evelyn had left her ignorant of the suspicious glances Leon was throwing at her. She gasped for breath when Leon gave a sudden harsh pull on her hair.

"Do not try to act smart with me, sweet cheeks," Leon growled as he stopped walking. He pulled her from his side and made her stand in front of him so that her face was right in front of his, "I know your head is racing to find ways to save them," he snarled, "Give up."

"Let them go, please," She gasped as she held his hand, trying to get it off and failing. The word 'please' felt like acid on her tongue when speaking to Leon but she knew she had no choice. He had the upper hand. "They didn't do anything to you, none of us ever did!"

Leon, for once looked annoyed instead of amused and without another word, raised his knee and sent it directly into Selena's stomach. Selena was not prepared for this sudden attack and with a groan, she hunched over trying to wrap her hands around her body where she knew a bruise was going to forming.

"No," Jayce gave a weak growl.

"Ugh," Leon threw Selena harshly on the floor and walked to where they held Jayce, throwing a right hook at him, "Shut up, bitch."

"Please!" Selena cried as he came back and pulled her up again. "That stupid dog of yours had a lot to say about me. I will show him his place. That is if Max isn't finished with him by the time we get there."