Chapter 60: Fit For A King And Queen

"We will not disappoint you."

A dull ache still radiated through her head and the bright light peeping through her closed eyelids didn't help.

Selena scrunched up her face and at once one of her hands moved to her head. With the other hand, Selena guarded her eyes to stop the lights as she slowly sat up. She groaned lowly at the feeling of pain engulfing her own body as she looked around.

Where was she?

She noticed the floor to ceiling window right in front of her when she sat up. Thin, milk-white curtains flowed wind against them. The thin material was doing very little to stop the bright light from outside.

Even the simple task of standing up seemed to be needing too much energy as she let out another groan while trying to get on her feet. With small, careful steps, she walked to the window. The outside was too bright to be normal, Selena decided when she couldn't see anything but bright light.

She needed to find out where the hell she was. She needed to go back, to her family, her mate... Xavier needed her.

After staring out the window for a few more seconds, the view out the window shocked Selena. The brightness was still blinding. But as her eyes got used to it, she managed to realize that there were clouds floating around just outside, close enough for her to just extend her hand and catch it if she wanted.

"Come to me, darling..."

Selena frowned as she turned to look around. She noticed that the room was huge, bigger than her and Xavier's suite which was saying something.

'This has to be a palace,' Inara mumbled in her head. She could feel the presence of both Inara and Izzy, which calmed her down only a little.

The voice came from the door opposite the window. With the frown still intact, she turned towards the door and took slow, cautious steps.

The chilly air sent shivers down her spine and she wrapped her hands around her bare arms. Outside the door, there was an open corridor. On one side, once again there was the bright light with the clouds floating around. Selena couldn't help the wow that escaped her lips as she looked around.

It looked like a palace in the clouds. She was tempted to step out and test if she could actually walk on the clouds, to see how it would feel. But she decided not to take the risk. It isn't the time to be wandering around in the clouds, she reminded herself.

The palace looked majestic, she thought while observing the beautiful designs on the wall, her speed slowing down once again. The sound of someone clearing her throat inside her mind got her to stop looking around in amazement and realize that she needed to hurry.

'Woman, our people are dying. Stop appreciating the beauty and get going.' The sound of Inara groaning broke her out of her reverie.

'Right...' she whispered and started walking again. On the other end of the corridor was another door with another one of those thin white curtains.

Selena pushed it away slightly and entered the room. There was a lit fireplace and opposite to which was a woman dressed in all white gown, facing away from her. Her long, dark brown hair reached her thighs.

"Excuse me?" Selena whispered softly, scared that if she was too loud she would disturb the peace of the place.

She met with silence as there was no movement from the other side.

"Excuse me," she spoke louder, this time with a bit more urgency. The last thing she remembered was asking Xavier to move away before she lost consciousness. Above the confusion clouding her mind, she was now getting restless.