Chapter 17:- The Betrayal

"Betrayal is gonna hit you so close to him"

Aiden and Xavier, this time accompanied by Selena and Ryan were running along the western border. Selena was just behind the huge white wolf, which was his mate. Behind her were Ryan and Aiden running alongside.

They had just decided to go on a run and let their wolves out, and in the process, patrol the borders and see if everything was going okay. All the while, they kept taunting each other, turning the friendly run into a race.

The fact that Selena had been accepted into the pack and the members knewthat she was the alpha's mate meant that they had now stopped questioning whyshe was so easily let into the pack. Her acceptance into the pack and the bond she created with the alpha, allowed her to link every member as well now.

The run was soothing for all of the wolves. But what came next was not something that they expected.

'Alpha?' a voice invaded Xavier's head, but as an alpha, Xavier was used to people contacting him.

'Yes, Seth?' Xavier linked back all the while as he ran. Zion was enjoying and so was he.

'You should come to the southern border as soon as you can,' Xavier could hear the shock and tremble in his voice.

'Seth, what's going on?' he paused abruptly and faced the south. Seeing him, the others stopped too.

Ryan as a beta was already in the link but the others didn't know yet.

'There's been an incident alpha, it would be better if you could come here soon, please.'

Xavier wanted to pester Seth more to tell him what was going on, but the tremble in his voice stopped him.

He linked everyone there about the message and they ran towards the south now.

The territory of the Ferocious Shadows land was huge. The pack consisted of only about five hundred wolves. Xavier was very strict about the training of his pack which made the wolves of his pack the strongest after the destruction of the Lunar Eclipse pack.

It took them a mere fifteen minutes for them to run to where Seth stood with a few other warriors where they were patrolling the area.

The four of them changed into their human forms as they reached the sight, but the silver remained in the eyes of Xavier and Ryan as they could sense something was wrong and it was serious. Some magic from the witches, generations ago, had allowed the wolves to change to their humans without the awkwardness of nakedness.

Seth stood there, with five other warriors, and Gamma Roy too. Xavier frowned as he hadn't assigned five wolves to patrol together, they always did in groups of three. When Xavier took a few steps forward, he could see Sean, another warrior, a very trusted one, and Seth's brother was down on the ground made to kneel by Roy.

"What is going on here?" he inquired, his voice heavy with the presence of his wolf.

Roy walked forward with a bowed head, Selena always thought why Roy never seemed to spend enough time with them other than work and made a mental note to ask Xavier later.

"Alpha, Grayson Logan is dead." Xavier just glared at Roy, his eyes turned bright silver as Zion stepped forward but Xavier was still in control.

"I didn't feel the loss of the connection, Roy."

"Seth saw Sean injecting Grayson with something before he sliced his throat, deep enough that he bled out. He couldn't heal himself."

"Seth brought him here?" Selena whispered and Ryan looked at her. She could only wonder how hard it was for Seth to hand over his own brother to the alpha.