S301(U1): Make a choice

Author's note:

Hello, Everyone. It brings me great joy to welcome you all to the season premiere of And You And I season 3!

First and foremost, a huge thank you to everyone who has stuck with this fic throughout two rollercoaster seasons. Seriously, I can't thank you guys enough, you have been terrific. I have been blown away with all the positivity I've had in the comments and the sheer number of kudos, votes and favourites I've had across my three platforms. So, thank you all so much. I also need to say a massive thank you to everyone who voted for myself and And You And I in the first round of the KP Fannie awards. Thanks to your support, we have both made it through to the second round in each of the categories we were nominated in. Also a big shout out to Celioxa, who has also made it through to round two in the best reviewer category. The second round is now underway, however, I'll wait until the end of the update before giving you the details for voting this time around.

So, that brings us to the opening chapter of season three. Heh, I literally did not know what to call this one until I went to copy the document over, when a line from a Rick Wright (read Pink Floyd) solo song popped into my head. That lyric is Make a choice and it comes from the track Summer Elegy.

Enjoy.

##

"ARGH!!!!" The piercing scream burst out of the handset and Shego had to distance it from her ear to stop it from deafening her.

What the hell?

The scream died only to be replaced by a cold voice, "hello, Convict."

Shego stiffened on hearing a voice she'd hoped never to hear again. Hastily, she brought the handset back to her ear. "Brooks," she replied, voice deadpan.

"Surprised to hear me, Convict?" the Captain asked rhetorically. "I suppose you were expecting to talk to your little friend instead. Well, I have her here and she is just dying for you to pay attention."

A single thought filled Shego's mind, oh shit!

##

A light breeze drifted across the salt flats of Bonneville Speedway, in northwest Utah, dragging a small dust cloud across the surface, which whipped around the green and black; mad-science modified Honda Blackbird. However, the motorbike stood propped up on its stand, alone; motionless. Its rider, instead of being astride it, sat bolt upright in the blue hovercraft that floated ten feet overhead.

Shit, shit, shit, she cursed internally, now knowing full well who had made the piercing scream that had started off the conversation; Bonnie. Fuck, I knew she'd get caught sooner or later. I warned her about calling me, but she wouldn't listen... and I was foolish enough to feel sorry for her and so risked her long-term safety in order to give her some short-term comfort. Why the hell did I not just hang up on her that first day? She had no time to beat herself up nor try and fathom her thought processes.

"What do you want, Brooks?" Shego barked aggressively.

Several hundred miles away, deep within the fortress that was the country's maximum-security prison, Captain Brooks stood within a small; white-walled interrogation room. To her left, was lance corporal Higgs and one of the other analysts from the control room, the pair bent over a laptop, as they ran a trace program to try and get a fix on the convict's location. While in front of her, sat the terrified figure of Bonnie Rockwaller, who had been restrained to a metal chair for over three hours now. Sweat covered the inmate's forehead, as she slowly rocked back in forth, having been subjected to two hours' worth of sensory disorientation. Her teal eyes held a terror beyond any Brooks had ever seen before.