Chapter 24: It isn't only me that you're running from

A light beat fluttered from the stage, out across the dance floor and to the ears of those seated on the comfortable chairs and sofas that surrounded it like a horseshoe; it also had no issue in reaching the mezzanine floor above. It never commanded a listener's attention or forced itself upon them, rather was there for someone to enjoy should they so desire. Needless to say, the atmosphere of the bar could be summed up perfectly as relaxed. This was the exact opposite of how Kim Possible currently felt.

Sitting on a sofa beside her best girl; Monique and across from two boys whom they had met only two hours prior, Kim was uneasy... on edge even. Matt, the boy directly opposite her and the one who had taken an interest in her, had bought her a drink; an apple sours and lemonade, almost an hour ago and they had talked casually. But things hadn't gone anywhere from there. There had been no push from him to make a move on her and likewise, she hadn't known how to advance things either. While this had been fine to begin with, for she did not think she could have handled someone being pushy, the longer it went on the more awkward she felt. She had genuinely tried to engage him, to convey the fact that she was interested in them doing... whatever it was you were supposed to do in such situations. Unfortunately, therein lay the rub. Every time she reached for something to say that might allow for some sort of progress, she drew a big fat blank in her mind. So, there she sat, slowly retreating into herself and allowing the music to claim more and more of her attention. At least in the moments when it gripped her, the awkwardness receded.

"...yo, Kim?"

Kim's eyes darted to her left when she heard Monique say her name, only to find an empty space on the sofa beside her.

"This way, Girl," her friend said playfully.

She turned around to look towards the dancefloor, only to find her best girl obscuring her view. She hadn't even noticed that the girl had stood up and walked past her.

Mo extended a hand out to her, "will you come help me? I think I smudged my lipstick."

Kim looked up at Monique's lips and unsurprisingly saw that there was nothing wrong with her lipstick. Nevertheless, she took the outstretched hand, more than happy to take the opportunity to escape the increasingly awkward situation. Besides, she knew fine well that her friend clearly had something to say that she could not talk about in front of their male companions. Perhaps she liked Dylan; the fourth member of their quartet. Rising to her feet, she followed the girl around the edge of the dancefloor and to the lady's room.

"What's up, Mo?" Kim asked once they were safely inside and the door shut, as though her voice might somehow carry across the room to the supposedly eavesdropping ears of Dylan and Matt.

"Girl, what on earth are you doing out there?" Monique asked. Her tone was by no means harsh but definitely commanded an answer.

"Umm, sitting having a drink and listening to the band?" she replied stupidly, not really sure what else to say.

Needless to say, that had been the wrong answer.

"Exactly!" Monique exclaimed, throwing her hands up in frustration. "Kim, I know it's been a while since you last hooked up with someone, but the way you're acting out there it's like you've never picked up a guy before in your life."

"Umm, technically..." she had been about to say that was actually true (Josh had asked her out, Eric had been a Synthodrone programmed to go out with her and Ron... well they'd sort of just come together at the junior prom after having saved the world), but her best girl swiftly cut her off.

"Don't want to hear your excuses, Girl," Monique replied. "Matt is interested in you and you're doing nothing to encourage him. In fact, if I wasn't keeping Dylan entertained, they would probably have left already!"