Chapter 12: Parallels

"Oh crap, oh crap, ohcrap, ohcrapohcrap..."

Kim Possible furiously paced back and forth across the main living area of her apartment; mind going a million miles an hour. I asked Shego to go out for a drink with me! She turned on her heal and strode passed the wooden raised section of the floor that led to the balcony doors and then down a short hallway to her bedroom and workroom. I can't believe I asked Shego out for a drink! She circled around the dining table and stopped when she got to the entrance to the open plan kitchen. Oh God! I actually asked Shego to go out for a drink with me! ...and I have no idea what her answer would have been because I kicked her over a railing; then almost got killed by Drakken's stupid death-ray! I'm such an idiot! Kim did not know which of those actions she was considering herself an idiot for having carried out.

She took a deep breath to try and calm herself. Ok, what do I do? Do I just ignore it, pretend it didn't happen? ...yeah, that sounds like the thing to do; problem solved. She went into the kitchen and fetched a bottle of soda from the fridge, opened it and then drunk half the contents by the time she made it to the sofa. Plonking herself down, she picked up the TV remote and turned it on. Unsurprisingly, the news channel was talking about her latest defeat of Dr Drakken. While she had managed to escape the scene before either GJ or the press had shown up, she had been forced to call the former and explain to them where to find the base personnel and about the likelihood of the main dome having torn itself apart. After all, It would have been unsafe for them to go inside the complex blind, then have it fall down on top of them.

The call had taken the whole trip home; agent Will Du continuing to pester her with questions and then, surprise surprise, telling her that she'd done a good job but could do so much more if she worked for Global Justice. Kim had ended things there by rather forcibly declining the invite; having become increasingly tired of them pestering her about it. Unfortunately, she knew full well that Dr Director was a woman who always got what she wanted and at the moment, that was Kim Possible in GJ. How far will she go to make that happen? It was a question she'd asked herself after every encounter with GJ of late. Contrary to the image they portrayed, Kim knew the organisation operated very much in the shades of grey region of the spectrum and not just when it came to the uniforms. Indeed, the more missions she carried out at their behest, the more it was becoming apparent just how unethical and underhanded they could be when it came to the term, 'for the greater good'. I might need to be carful in my future dealings with them, especially if they decide that me becoming a member is, 'for the greater good'.

A video clip of Drakken, which showed her and Shego fighting in the background, brought Kim's mind away from GJ and back to the highlight of the past two weeks. Damn, we had a good dance today. She winced slightly as she twisted her torso; her ribs reminding her that one of their number was broken. But I so need to get her back for using that vortex throw against me. And how on earth did she propel herself that high and that far forward when she sprang up from the floor? Heh, guess I'll just have to try and figure it out. I mean, it's not as if I can ask her... The thought crossed Kim's mind and brought her straight back to the subject of having asked Shego out for a drink. Even if I went out, I'd have no idea where to go or even if she'd bother trying to meet me. And I can't exactly pick up the phone and go, "hey, do you want to go out? Ok, let's meet here..."

Kim's eyes locked onto her small black handbag, which still lay exactly where it had been thrown when she'd come home after her fight with Ron the previous week. She reached out to the other side of the couch and grabbed it. Withdrawing her phone, she ignored the mass amount of texts and missed phone calls and started scrolling through her contacts list. She found what she was looking for under M... M for Miss Go. Excitedly, she hit the call button and brought the phone up to her ear. Oh, God, I'm actually calling Shego to see if she wants to go out for a drink! Her enthusiasm quickly faded when she heard the voice that answered, "the villain that you have dialled cannot be reached, most likely due to having their phone destroyed by some no good hero. Please hang up, or we'll blow up your telephone." She hastily hung up. Dammit! Her cell phone must have been damaged during our dance... Well, that totally sucks Monkey Fist's balls.