S209 (U3): Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky

Author's note:

Boo! Heh, bet you guys weren't expecting to hear from me for another week. However, while this particular chapter was a ba***rd to write, I've both finished it and the next two and so, since this was always going to be just a single chapter update, I decided to share it with you all a week early. Don't say I'm not good to you, lol ;p.

So, when we last left our lovely ladies, Shego was locked up in solitary confinement and not having a good time of it and Kim, who has been struggling to wrap her head around her newfound sexuality, finally decided she needed to do something about it and so is going to visit Shego in jail. What could Possibly go wrong?

For this chapter, the title is taken from yet another Pink Floyd song, this time Shine on you crazy diamond pts1-5, from their 1975 masterpiece Wish you were here (did I mention that it's my favourite album of all time?) Anyway, the lyric was written by Roger Waters (the band's main lyricists) and is a tragically beautiful description of the eyes of someone who's body is there but their mind is gone. In the case of the song, he was referring to the bands original lead guitarist, Syd Barratt, and how he looked after he took one acid trip too many. And with respect to this chapter, I am using it to describe the vacant look in Shego's eyes. Lol, sorry for the history lesson there, but I've had this chapter title in mind since before the end of season one and am thrilled to finally post the chapter that bears it.

As always, I want to thank all of you for all the votes and the kind words you have left me in the comments.

Right, that's enough from me for now. Enjoy chapter nine: Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky, and I'll see you all at the end.

P.S. This chapter takes our little one-shot past the 250K word mark, Woo-hoo!

##

Chapter Nine: Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky

Kim had woken at her normal time of six-thirty that morning and completed her routine run and workout for the first time since the incident at the volcano lair. This had been followed by her usual shower, after which she had dressed in the light-blue variant of her mission gear. However, normality had ended there, and she'd succumbed to temptation and eaten toaster tarts for breakfast. After that, she'd left a note on the coffee table for a sleeping Ru-Ru to find when he woke up, explaining that she'd gone out and wouldn't be back until late evening. She'd debated whether or not to invite the naked-mole-shark to come with her but decided against it. Her need to talk to Shego alone trumping what sympathy she felt for him. She'd then headed down to the Sloth and set off on the long trek; across two state lines, to the county's highest security prison.

It should have been an arduous ten-hour drive, but thanks to the Tweebs and their mechanical prowess, the time had been cut down by two thirds. On route, Kim had telephoned ahead and informed the Prison she was coming. The lieutenant to whom she had eventually been put through had not been thrilled at the prospect. Indeed, she had sensed he had been about to refuse her outright, at which point she had dropped her name. As expected, he had quickly become more accommodating. However, she'd needed to pedal a pre-formulated excuse about needing to get information from Shego, regarding where she'd stashed some of the tech she had stolen prior to being arrested, in order to get him to agree without having to exert excess pressure on him. After the conversation had ended, she'd come away with the distinct impression that the man would try and eavesdrop on her conversation by any means possible, probably with the intent of relaying the info to Global Justice HQ. So, she was banking on the Kimmunicator being able to detect and disrupt any such attempts.

Had the semi-argument been the only issue Kim had faced before she brought the Sloth to a stop outside the imposing steel doors of the penitentiary, she probably would have felt fine. However, as soon as she'd hung up and her visit with Shego had become official, she had almost turned the car around and headed for the safety of home. To say she felt apprehensive about seeing her rival was akin to classing Dr Drakken as only mildly inept at supervillainy. She had no idea what she would encounter inside. Will Shego even be willing to talk to me? That was only the first hurdle and she would be lying if she said part of her hoped the green-skinned woman simply outright refused the visit. What on earth do I say to her if she does agree to talk to me? Hey, sorry I got you locked up in jail. By the way, I'm a lesbian now and want to ask your advice about how I actually go about finding a girlfriend? Kim sighed and shook her head. Urgh, that sounds totally shitty.