CHAPTER ONE

He sat by the window in the long car everyone else called a bus because it had very many chairs and was big and long. Completely closed off. Everything was active next to him. He leaned back in his chair as the long box passed by trees, and busy streets with vendors; hands clutched tightly on the bend with a painful expression on his face. Tyres that he now thought were set as an element of torture directly under his seat collided with deep holes and bumps causing his heavy mass to jump continuously. He let out a strangled breath as they hit the last bump and relaxed releasing his tight hold on the bend. Daniel had crouched himself to the side and talking to Janie. Teachers also looked to be deep in conversation with each other not minding the continuous chatter of the students in the bus. They laughed loudly at anything funny their neighbours said much more to his disadvantage as all noise came from behind him. He shrieked as a high chuckle rose from Janie. Daniel should have said something funny that now she was on his lap. He closed his eyes, listening to everything around him as the bus sped by a high-pitched sound; possibly from the ice cream man. The sun glazed brightly on his soft skin giving him the slightest warmth as the wind blew violently through the small window just next to him. Honks and rumbles of traveling vehicles that signalled they were already in Njala town sounded distant as he concentrated. The headache was back again. It seemed normal to him as it was happening non-stop in the past few weeks.

Releasing a breath, he opened his eyes, allowing himself to let free and forget everything that was now a burden to him.

The bus trailed along Off street passing by shops, supermarkets, boutiques, Libraries, and Njala park that the mayor had donated to the people of Njala town. Kids were playing on swings, chasing each other, playing soccer in the small field on the left while their parents sat on the benches and small picnic tables under the mango trees.

His eyes landed on the bouncing castle and the small swimming pool that their father always brought them to during their kindergarten. However, the same place he met a girl who was now best friend to his twin, was the same place he dreaded. Memories ignited and he forced them back. Not intending to give a show of him crying curled up in a ball in his bus seat to the people who respected and adored him.

Different smells of roasted liver, chicken, meat, and bananas filled the bus. People with different food stuffs and soft drinks had somehow fought their way to the bus windows as it waited in jam. They shouted and pushed one another trying to find space to sell their goods to customers. Vendors ran after different vehicles as they started moving to get their money.

"Woo owe " a woman cried running after the bus trying to catch her note before it drove any further. Conrad laughed at the sight suddenly finding it humorous.

The driver stopped allowing the two to trade before turning on the road with a sign that read, 'Sunset. He was familiar with this place. The first house on the lane was Mr Mutabazi's; the most beautiful one, followed by a trail of trees that made a forest leading to Jedda's farm. Then the mayor's house; it was a beautiful modern residence with a big arch on the gate designed in black and cream. It looked lively and extravagant. The bus continued down the road and turned a corner that led to his house. He could see his mother through the small square holes on the big gate hanging clothes on the wire outside. She looked happy which made him smile; a true smile.

Next was a public library one hundred rulers from his house and then a flower garden with roses and daisies. Sunset street was something else; very organized and beautiful. Men and women jogged by the bus as it stopped letting school kids cross to the other side where a small kindergarten was. A large billboard with a poster showing Jedda's sister, Cathy posing with other stars stood firmly nailed in the ground. He recognized the movie 'Love Money where Cathy played as the 'angel of pirates. The bus halted on the road block and the conductor opened the door to let the security guard do his work. He must have found everything right as he moved out and instructed his colleague to remove the block and let them in. They were now approaching their destination. The sun gleamed so brightly through the front mirror as they came to the view of 'sunset pictures.