CHAPTER SIX

She looked up shyly and smiled before giving her hand to her and standing up to move to the next seat. A tear dropped and she leaned into Jedda for comfort. "Don't cry or else you are going to make me cry too." Cathy nodded her head twice before rubbing her face to dry her eyes and cheeks.

"I missed our time alone big sis when you were away at school. A lot.... very much. The beach, the food, the drinks and hell! Driving in that BMW around town!" She munched on her samosa and spring roll platter.

"Well......we still have time before school starts again. Come on!" Jedda said standing up and waving the waiter to their table.

" Can we have our food packed to go?" The waiter smiled nodding and got to work quickly.

Popping the hood of her spiffy new pearl-grey M3, she put it in auto drive and turning the music louder, they stood up and shouted while munching on their leftover food from Café Javas. She drove faster and the monster went with a push and sound that said, ' I am going fast now.' The feeling was exciting and wild; thrilling. They started dancing and swinging to the music as a new song of the Kampala boys B2C, Munda awo' came up. Cathy pulled out her phone and recorded the moment just driving around town and listening to music. Jedda slowed down as they came closer to cross roads and stopped as the traffic lights turned red. Now Holy by Justin Bieber was playing in the background. They looked at each other and started laughing. Jedda's phone vibrated on the dashboard signaling an incoming call. She reached her hand and turned down the music before answering the call. Silent sobs came from the other end. It was Nowel, her best friend. They needed to talk so she hanged up and drove Cathy home.

"I need to get to Nowel as soon as possible." Jedda said before driving off.

******

Nowel sat on the steps outside Njala park. Her shoulders shaking and her head on her knees. She cried so silently. This place is where it all started; the friendship between Jedda and the twins and the friendship between their mothers. The place so memorable but dreadful. They have never regretted ever meeting. They always have been glad to have met each other on that beautiful sunny weekend. Nowel knew better than to blame her fathers actions on Jedda and her family. He was his own man; his own person and no one was to blame for his sudden repulse. It only means that he has been a hypocrite all this time. Pretending to be a perfect father and husband. A violent and selfish man is what he truly is. Her mothers advocacies didnt justify his abuse and as a lawyer, he knew that too. Cock-sure, he had always been somehow niggard but they always ignored his miser actions.

"Nowel. Oh God! What happened?" Jedda said sadly as she sat next to her.

"It's dad! He is taking Conrad to USA." Nowel sobbed taking a handkerchief from Jedda. Jedda's heart broke for Conrad and her best friend. They were not to be separated. They had become so close to each other, almost like sisters. But Conrad was Nowel's twin, her comfort and escape. She forced back the tears and asked the question she dreaded to know the answer.

"When?" She asked hoping it is next year.

" He said very soon .... I ...I don't know...may be next week! He couldn't wait for at least a good-bye party. He had to run away with my brother from mum. Later alone forgetting I too am his daughter." She dubbed her eyes and leaned into Jedda's chest and more tears flowed. Worse could have happened but separation of siblings? Jedda thought back to their childhood. Conrad always kept them safe. He could beat up all the boys that tried teasing and bullying them. She even developed a crush on him. No, it is more than that. More like falling for him.

Only the thought of losing him scared her a lot. And now he was leaving? How was she going to survive without his smiles, jokes and the sweet sound of his laughter? She needed him near and that thought alone scared her. He was her Romeo and she was his Juliet. The only difference was they will not die like Romeo and Juliet. They had to live, love and grow old together. Even though she was not sure if her Romeo was in love with her. She had to plan something.

" So, they finally divorced?" She asked crying and holding Nowel so she couldn't see her lose it. Her face stained with tears; a look of agony and pity.

"Yes." She whispered and moved to lay her head gently on Jedda's lap. Now her eyes were bloodshot and her face was so pale. Nowel's sweet voice filled the car as they settled in the back thinking about what to do next.

" I have an idea. We should bring Conrad along with Daniel for our vacation before they leave next week." Jedda suggested.

" Hmm ..." was Nowel's reply and kept singing. Jedda joined in and they sang to their favourite melody.

They drove back home listening to music in the background of Jedda's car. They had to first ask for permission from their parents before leaving.

"You know I will always be there for you. Dont let this destroy you. Stay strong at least for your mum." Nowel nodded her head before pushing the car door open.

"I....I will see you later." She smiled rubbing the tears away from her face before turning and entering the gate to her parents house.