CHAPTER SIXTEEN

He had a manly peppered stubble on his face. His brown skin had become lighter and looked almost like the white Americans. He had perfect lips and bright black eyes. He had cut his hair to a fair level in the sides and dyed the middle brown. He looked like a movie star, his eyes, were a fire with passion. It had no caption. She loved every bit of him. But hated the fact that he had put his naked self up for the world to see. Many women and men had commented on his post and it had six thousand likes. She liked his post but did not comment. She scrolled down and there were also new posts of Cathy, Nowel and Eugene.The rest were from Sunset. She also liked before powering off he phone. She wrote in her book before changing into pyjamas and falling in bed to sleep.

The light from the windows felt so good, like gentle fingers touching her face. She brought her hand up to cover her face and turned to lay on her stomach. Light violated her space as it bloomed in the room, stretching into the interior. Nowel spread the curtains letting the more sunlight fill the room.

"This is great. You should make a movie in it or a novel. It is a story and a true-life changing story."

" What are you talking about?" Jedda said sitting up from her bed. "Is that my book you are reading?" She said coming up to where she was sitting.

" You left it open on the desk. I was tempted and later, got deep into the story. I just couldn't stop reading. It's good. You really are talented!" Nowel said before handing it to her.

" I just wrote what I felt about everything happening in our town. It's like a diary with no big secrets. Just thoughts in an organized way. " Jedda said looking out the window. The milkman was already outside and a line of people waiting for milk.

" Mum is going to kill me if I don't get milk today! " she said running for the door. Nowel ran after her and waited by the gate as Jedda bought milk.

After, they leg-it into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. They prepared milk tea and black ginger tea with sausages. They had their share and went back to Jedda's room to freshen up. Jedda had got a job at Sunset and was assisting Eugene as Nowel organized the costumes for the actors and models. They had landed a pretty cool job. They worked five hours a day, from noon to five in the evening. The salary was much and enough for them. Jedda corrected all spelling and grammar errors in scripts and books.

Everyday after work, they drove around the city with Cathy. They went to Cafe javas for lunch and to the beach or the mall. But today, they were all free and didn't have work. Cathy had gone to the gym and then went to hang out with her friends. Jedda and Nowel decided to stay home and watch movies. They started the day playing cards and then listening to music. They were now watching their third movie, Jumanji in the sitting room.

Later, Jedda got a call from her mother that she needed her help with the moot. Every Saturday, her mother had discussions with the village women of Njala on ways to save women from domestic violence and encourage equality. The moot was held at the chairman's residence in town. She took Nowel with her as she loved debates and supported the Women Empowerment Team. The place was filled with many people; natives and the famous rich folks of Njala. They were a very big team. Everyone agreed that Njala district had to stand as a team to fight the domestic violence and machismo. They all debated on the better ways to save the young generation from suffering the same fate as their elders. There is a way male were groomed; learning fast and early the old-fashioned ways of life. They learned from their fathers to be superiors that even at the age as short as eight, you would find them leading and claiming authority from the girls especially those that were defenseless. And when they hit adolescence, they felt perked with immeasurable strength and egos.