CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

The final touches were being done to her and she looked so beautiful, her sister next to her. Cathy lifted her hand and they entwined them before lifting her up to see herself in the mirror. She was clad in a black mermaid dress, so gorgeous. She couldn't belief it was her.

" You are enticing sister. One look at you, all guys are going to be at your side all night bugging you to date them dear sister." Cathy said pulling the chair out so she could twirl for her. She was the beauty and brains for the day. They all laughed and hugged.

" I can't believe this day has come. To see all my hard work being screened on big televisions and supplied in the biggest stores today, is a blessing I never knew I would ever get to be here." Jedda let a tear slide down her perfect face. She was so happy. Nothing could beat the joy she felt. Cathy brought up her hands and cleaned the lone tear away smiling all the way.

" Come on" She said leading her out of the dressing room. " And please, let's not ruin this beautiful make up sweetheart." She took out a tissue from the collection on the table and gently cleaned her face.

The party was starting in twenty minutes so she had to be out soon to welcome her guests. She had come so far to her dreams and published 'I can't do this The book had hit one million reads in just a spam of months. Everyone had suggested to make a movie out of it. It was about a girl who was caught in the middle of losing her mother and first lover because she was stuck in a relationship that was abusive.

As she stood before elders, and young people, she introduced the star Joseline and Jerad. She had joined both Conrad and her name but no one knew that. No one needed to know and it was her secret. Eugene had promised to find a suitable person to play the part of Jerad. Today, she was to meet him and the sponsors for 'I can't do this.'

She looked through the crowd to see if her best friend was there yet. Her mother and father waved at her and she smiled before waving back. Everything had been organized and looked great. Eugene's team had decided on a theme of black and blue to match the gold of the walls and the tiled floor. The place looked luxurious and neoteric. Tables were set apart from the chairs. They were made to put drinks and desserts for every guest that attended. Two people stood on each table. There were about thirty stands. Guests engaged in quiet talk and sipped on their drinks as they waited on the Mc to open the ceremony officially. The lighting in the room was low and only the stage sinned with glass and projectors. A simple stand was put in the centre for the speaker. Jedda's picture was displayed on the big screen at the stage. Large posters of her original book were put everywhere. Soon, she was called up to address the mass. Every one clapped to welcome her on stage.

" Thank you. Thank you all. I hope you are all enjoying. It is a blessing to have happy guests. You know this is a big step in my life, having readers as much as two thousand or one million is all so unbelievable to me. As a writer, I didn't know my work was so good that it will earn me this kind of fame. I am indeed blessed to have you all. Thank you for believing in me. 'Eugene' thank you for being my mentor and someone who pushes me to better my skills. And my best friend, you have done a lot better in my life than you will ever know. My sister Cathy, mother and father, you all. Thank you for being there for me all the time. Today, we celebrate the movie that has inspired a lot of women and young girls to fight for their rights. My self, I have had a lot to witness growing up. Domestic violence and all the other injustices done to women in Njala have to stop. Watching women being mistreated and denied the right to speak for themselves, to exercise their rights has been painful growing up. And I am proud of my very own mother standing up against such men who are so full of themselves and want to minister their power as superiors to women. I decided to publish my book to bring together the young generation. Let us groom our children to be examples. Let us teach them that we are all equal. Each and everyone were born with a superpower be it running, singing, dancing, cooking, counting or even thinking. We are all good at something. Ladies and gentlemen, let us be the ones to better our nation. Jedda finished with a glass of soda raised high and everyone copied her. She exits the stage and shook hands with the people she met.

The party was vibrant. Daniel had also come at some point during her speech. The Women Empowerment Team was recognized to be present. Her mother kept on introducing her to different people, both youth and old. But her best friend was no where to be seen. She had texted her earlier and told her that she would be reaching a little late for the ceremony.

She got bored with the party and moved to the balcony outside. Daniel came after her and they sat on the couch.

" The party is great." he started speaking.

" Yah. Cathy and Eugene deserve the praise. Plus, Nowel who is by the way no where to be seen." She said annoyed leaning back and putting her feet on the short stool in front of her. Daniel just laughed when he saw the look on her face when he mentioned her name.

" She will be here soon. "

" You think so? I really wanted her to be here since she is the root cause of all this." Jedda said gathering her dress.

" Your book is good by the way." Daniel said smiling genuinely and pulling his feet up on the table to match her stance.

" So, Joseline and Jerad.... "

" They are just names" Jedda said smiling shyly.

"Just names" Daniel smirked as he continued to tease her. "What about Jerad? I think I have ever heard that name from Zack. Every time he said it, Conrad would tell him to shut up and walked out. Then Zack would laugh." Daniel said leaning back on the couch smirking enthusiastically. He was a dapper young man, jaunty in a tux and black designer shoes. He looked good in black and maroon. It matched his chocolate skin colour.

" What? Why? " Jedda said trying to hide her smile.

" Oh. I don't know.... May be Jedda and Conrad know the meaning of the name." He said wriggling his lashes.

"Hi" another voice came up which made them stop in their conversation. The voice sounded familiar. Jedda stilled from where she was, jittery at the moment. She didn't have to look back to know who it was. Conrad it is. His voice sounded much thicker and sweet. He must have grown even bigger since his shadow took most of the light in her space.

"Hey Conrad man. It's been long. When did you land?" Daniel said giving him a hug while patting him on the back.

"Just this morning. I took an early flight." Conrad said smiling. Nowel was beside him. She stood there awkwardly watching the two interact until she decided to join Jedda on the couch. A waiter passed and Jedda stopped him. She picked two glasses of some yellowish drink and took a large gulp. She had never tasted it. It was weird and had a strange taste; harsh and tart with a ting of sweetness to it.