CHAPTER THREE

" Rise and shine " Conrad opened the windows and the sun flashed inside; it's golden but violent rays landing on Daniel's exposed face.

" I hate your nature!" screeched Daniel hiding in the comfort of his blanket.

Conrad yanked it down and pulled him out of bed. They prepared and went for breakfast in the hall.

"Dash!

Throw that bucket

Discard the gloves

peel off the stench

of beans and eggs;

rotten in, out

Dirt and stench

sticking out in the air

Mop, clean, blow

Blow them out

When the belts

At the waist

touch the belly and

Clarify your best need

when you let the job go

People put them

Dash!

Throw that bucket

Right on the wall

Leave a mark

Discard the gloves

Disinfect the flow

Laugh at the sound

That comes with age,

Bending at the waist

Back sore

Bones break

Dirt and dust and.....

For.... ever...... "

The janitor, Mr. Kitone sang in a melodious voice in the far corner of the hall as he swept the floor. He always waited for them to wake up to start his morning work in the hall. Not that they cared. Mr. Kitone, as his name said had a talent in making poems songs. His beautiful voice always brought them joy and made them start the day happy.

Today, he was singing about his hate for the job. But everyone knew it was to make them laugh.

Conrad pulled a chair from under the table and placed it opposite Jedda. His sister, Nowel, was just next to him on the left and Daniel on the right.

"Today, Mr. Kitone is singing a great creation of J E D D A." Jedda sang whimsically on the opposite side from Conrad. She had an absolute zeal for poetry; infact, for everything composed. She also wrote short stories and had a great sense of humour. She got inspiration from art, nature, love, movies, and basically from Mr. Kitone. He and she were good friends and one would think that they had something going on. But Mr. Kitone was more of a father figure to her. She had a special talent and was gifted as the literature teacher always said.

" I honour plate as my father,

for he gives me food and a means

to eat

Plate knows everything

for he knows my best dishes

Plate is wise

For he carries fried eggs and sausages......"Jedda said , her hand on her chest and a dreamy smile on her face.

" Fork is strong