CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Jedda looked up from her book that had become her best friend to the night sky. She was sitting on the porch outside. She had made a deal with herself to write everything that happened in her life. At least in that way, she could have control of the racing thoughts and emotions she felt. No day passed that she didnt think of him; what he would be doing only if he hadnt left. It was not his fault but she felt like blaming him for her current life style. She was heartbroken; his flight was a smash to her being, a big blow to her soul. He looked so weak when she last saw him and it hurt her seeing him like that. Captive in the hands of his fathers men; talk about going out with a bang.

One week had passed since the incident that took place at Speke resort and changed her life had happened. After Conrad leaving, Estella came and took Nowel to the village and she did not hear from her since then. Her father too had come to pick her and Daniel from the resort. Everything happened so fast that she lost everything in a blink of an eye. Her best friend, she pitied her. She felt her pain. It was not easy to live without her friend, Conrad. He meant a lot to her. She couldn't even imagine living without Cathy. Letting out a sigh, she looked back to her book and wrote the last line for the day. She closed the book after and entered the house.

Placing the book on her reading table, she switched off the light and pulled her blankets. She then prayed to God and drifted to sleep

Clumping out of bed, she brushed her teeth and descended the stairs. It was nine in the morning. No sound was heard in the house apart from her padding feet to the kitchen. Selecting a suitable pan, she got milk from the two-door fridge and started making breakfast. She prepared chocolate milk spiced with ginger and black tea for Cathy. She then kneaded the flour, adding baking powder, onions, green papers, carrots in the process and slightly warm water with measured salt.

By ten, she was setting chapatis and milk with black tea in flasks at the table. She then lumbered to the couch and powered the television, turning the volume on high. Music could be heard up the stairs. Her mother had left very early in the morning for a meeting with the lord mayor. She would be home by ten thirty. As for her father and Cathy, they had gone for a hike down Njala street. They loved exercising. She was too lazy to even go to a shop across the road to buy something. Later on, comeback. That was too much for her. She went and poured herself a cup of milk and two chapatis and sat down sipping lazily while watching videos of different artists play on the television.

"Hey! Can you turn that down?"

She put down the cup and picked the remote to reduce the volume.

"How are you feeling my dear?" Her mother asked sitting beside her on the couch.

"Lazy! That's it. My last day at home! I am going to leg - it in here all day" she said picking up one chapati and folding it. She then took a bite and sipped on her tea before standing up to set breakfast for her mum.

After breakfast and an educative speech from her mother, she excused herself to her room. She struggled up the stairs to her room and opened the window to let fresh air in and the light to fill her room. She sat on the couch by her window and started writing in her book.

She only moved when she needed food, water, when her mother called her or when she needed to use the toilet.

She closed her book and put it in her travel bag. She then stocked Nowel and Conrad on social media. Nowel's page was filled with photos of her pouting with captions that said she missed her brother and those with her mother in the village. As for Conrad there were posts of him from last month when they were at Sunset. No updates from him. His phone number was off. She exit their pages and went to the homepage to check for any messages or notifications. Nowel had sent her a picture of her with her cousins and grandmother

They chatted for a while and she seemed fine. She was also coming back to J. F Kennedy to finish her senior six.

By the time she was done with her schedule, it was dark outside. The moon was full and her stars were so bright making a beautiful art piece in the sky. She noted down some words to describe how she felt and how beautiful the night was before mincing to the sitting room. She had spent the whole day in pyjamas.

After dinner, she sat down and watched a movie with her sister. Her mother and father went up to sleep. They talked about random stuff and how she was going to spend her last months at school. They then parted ways at midnight to the comfort of their rooms.

Jedda prayed before going to sleep. She seemed addicted to the act and that was good.

The next day, they helped her carry her luggage to the car and escorted her to school. She was happy because Nowel was going to be with her and it was her last year at J. F Kennedy. God knows that school is full of memories.