CHAPTER TWENTYONE

The day started off beautiful, kind hearted, too perfect; she couldnt help but feel the negative energy underneath. Like it was the start of something new in her life. Like it was obliging to all the rules of a happy and righteous earth. She looked to the far place that had a small island. That place was dreamy. With the bright yellow globe radiating waves so golden and animated; she felt a deep sweetness resonate within her.

It could have been the heat playing on her instincts or the uncertain feelings she had towards the catch. She was too reminiscent for her own liking and his presence did more wonders to her built walls. She felt all the walls crushing like she was starting to let go just to feel something. Having spent all this time away from sparing any second glances to that gender, she was now losing and she hated it. It was him. It always has been him. The only one who made her lose it. To feel vulnerable, open and free, naked aware of everything. Every nerve ending high on touch and her ears stand to his voice. Her soul yearned to be with him. And the ugly truth was that he was the beginning of bad luck in her life. So, she thought. Love was the unspoken word between the two. Aware of the connection they had but then again afraid to mention it. Like it was omen. Always in the friend zone. Only that they had started breaking it, unable to stay away. Undeniably in denial. Their relationship was the last thing that could be wanted by the two families knowing it could tickle the beast. Her last encounter with him was a baptism by fire; she caught hell from him and that was crux. Every day, she prayed God does something to change the twisted fate of the two families. To live happily ever after; be at peace and love one another.

She turned to where they sat; in a small eatery by the beach. A sweet melody smeared through the atmosphere as they interacted and ate. 

"Aren't tired of sulking yet? You have been in your own world since break of dawn. Talking to ghosts of the seas?" Nowel plopped herself next to her on the stone.

"Not funny Nowel. I just don't feel right. I have been thinking a lot lately. about all this. It doesn't feel right." Jedda said before putting her head on Nowels shoulder.

"oh sweetheart! Don't you worry. I've got you. I am going to be here for you when you need me. I am going to be your shoulder to cry on when you finally decide to let go. I am going to be here she pointed to where she was sitting. I am going to give you advise at that time when you decide to love someone. To be yourself for once. Don't you worry dear; he is my brother but I will bat shit him the moment he tries to lay a hand on you."

"What? You tell me now? At this time? You know that I am not even sure of my feelings any more. I don't know if I should hate him or love him. I don't want to love anyone in that way." She lifted her head away and fiddled with her fingers.

"I am sure he likes you. He wanted to come back so much when he was done with his degree. He was just so excited as much to see you at the party. He didn't know it was yours. I said nothing. Like I promised."

"Really? Thank you for being my friend." Jedda said looking up from her position to smile at her best friend.

"I know you like him. I can see it in your eyes. I have always known." She changes and faces her. "And I am your superhero, your best friend and only lawyer. Do you understand?" she nodded and frowned again.

"I will also beat that man up myself if he tries to lay a finger on you. Eugene linked me up to some juicy tricks. I will show you."

"Eugene"

"Yes. He is actually a good fighter. Want me to take you with me next time?" she asked her seriously.

"You two are so close these days. Is there something I need to know?" Nowel blushed and looked away.

"I can see it. The way you look at each other. And you do spend a lot of time together."

"There is nothing to talk about right now. It's just work. And he's my friend obviously we can talk. Cant we now?" She flicked her nose and smiled before helping her to stand. 

"And if there was something, don't you think I would tell you?"

"I believe you are not hiding anything from me apart from Conrad's come back" she said and stopped when Nowel said nothing. And tagged her back. She was fiddling with her fingers looking anywhere but at her.

"Eugene is making you play Joseline"

"Yeah! So..." Jedda glanced up, framing her eyes with her palms from the sun.

"Well, you see Conrad is playing Jerad" Jedda let her hands fall and looked to where her family was. He sat in the far corner in a chair; his legs spread widely and his hands behind his head as he inclined back. He was watching the two interact.

"No." Jedda cried out as he stood up and started in her direction. He moved boldly and stopped in front of her. Nowel pointed behind and ran in the other direction where their families sat.

He stood there; watching her intently for any reaction. Squinting his eyes to see clearly in the bright light. Jedda turned her back on him and started in the direction to her stone. She reached and lay a cloth down and looked over the waters; plugged in her headsets and stretched her hands back. Conrad moved in between and sat next to her observing her actions carefully. She was rigid; staring at a certain spot in the middle of the lake. Her face had no emotion; closing herself off from the world.

"You cant keep on ignoring me like this. At some point, we are going to have to talk." He said as he scratched his back and put his other hand in his hair.

"I know"

"Everything around here has changed. You have changed so much. Your skin glows more and you speak less." Conrad turned and looked at her admiringly.

"I just don't understand why you are so cold towards me. I don't know what I have done to deserve your behavior" he said, hurt evident in his voice. She still didn't spare him a glance. So, he stood up to leave her there. She watched him go and her eyes watered. It felt like the last time he left her. When he walked out of her life. She cried and put her head between her knees. She wanted to run after him, hug him from behind and cry in his arms like she used to do when she felt emotional. But she stayed back, and nothing hurt her more than seeing her loved one walk away from her. She rubbed the tears away from her eyes, but they kept on falling.

The feeling was painful; she felt her heart break for the second time. She could have confessed her feeling to him but she was scared of his reaction. She didnt want to hear him confess that they were only friends or the fact that he saw her as a sister. When he sat next to her, she felt all her walls crumble to pieces. She thought he was going to sit behind her and hug her. But he felt distant. Like he had given up on what they had built together. She felt abandoned as he stood up to leave her. Her sight blinded; she saw only a blurred shadow of him as it disappeared as soon as it had appeared. She fell on her cloth and cried under the small umbrella she had carried. She let herself sleep and forget. She wanted everything to be a dream. She didnt want to wake up without Conrad in her life.