CHAPTER FIFTEEN

She flipped through the pages of her book until she found an empty page. Picking up her pen, she started writing;

MY STEPPING STONE

'It is now three months since I finished my UACE. This, I tell you the truth, I am scared. I don't know if I have passed my examinations but I did my best. I have been praying everyday from the day I started my final year in high school. I have asked God to give me wisdom, life and power of innovation and creativity. I have prayed to pass with twenty points. I have read my books and discussed in study groups. The final mark in my future is in God's hands. I pray that as I open this envelope, I have courage to face whatever is inside.

She put back the lid on her pen and turned to the pink envelope that had a symbol of J. F Kennedy. Sighing, she removed the gum and found a piece of paper that was folded neatly. It was a recommendation. The first thing she saw were the three A' boldly written on every subject respectively. She was so happy. She continued to read and she had passed her subsidiaries too. Words couldn't describe the joy she felt.

Picking up her phone, she selected Nowel's number.

"hello...!"

"hi" she replied with excitement.

"so how many points have you got?" Jedda asked. The line on the other side went silent. She started to worry but then heard papers shuffling. Then her best friend's voice

"wow! I have 20points!" Nowel said squealing with joy and happiness.

"me too" Jedda replied. lets go to school. I think there's a party in the late afternoon." she hung up after that.

Clad in black skinny jeans and a sleeveless African print blouse, she picked up her shoes and keys. She opened the garage and drove her bimmer outside. And drove in the direction of Nowel's house as soon as it hit the road. They then proceeded to J. F Kennedy. Jedda and Nowel turned heads wherever they passed as they were ravishing and breathtaking. The party was set at the top of Jem block which was for candidates only. The building had three floors with a main hall on the last floor. By the time they reached, music was bursting through windows and produced a strong vibration that sounded until the first floor. The vibe in the room was high. Barbeque stands were set outside on the balcony and crates of all kinds of soda in the far corner of the hall. Every one was holding at least two bottles of soda and a stick of meat. Most of the population was dancing outside on the balcony as the hall was being set ready for the party.

When the hall was ready, everyone took their seat and waited for the head teacher to give his speech. He thanked everyone for the impressive results they got. This year, the school had got the biggest performance and no on was below ten points. The director too celebrated with them. Students with twenty points were given gifts of five hundred thousand each. They talked, danced and ate. It was a feast they were to remember for the rest of their lives. Nowel just wished her brother was around to celebrate f the moment with her.

Later at night, Jedda lay on her bed, in her sleeping shorts and t-shirt. Nowel and Jedda exchanged papers and guides, listening to music. They were planning on which universities to go to. They both loved Makerere University, in fact the university had offered them free education for any course each one of them selected. The university was nice and the best in Uganda. Nowel applied for a bachelor of laws and Jedda contemplated on literature as a major, creative writing or library and information sciences.

Nowel changed into pyjamas and slept as Jedda wrote in her book. Writing with a pen was easy as duck soup and fun. She could scribble anything that came to her mind at any time. She then opened her Instagram, Conrad had posted a picture of him with a cute white girl with a caption, Gems! Life in America.' There was another of him in low waist jeans and without a shirt.