CHAPTER TWENTY

The next morning, she woke up to a local FM streaming downstairs. There were noises as if ten people were in her living room. Rubbing her eyes, she removed the covers and struggled into her night gown to cover her skimpy night wear. She half sleep walked out of the room and knocked the rug and bucket that the maid may have possibly left beside her door. She then clumped down the stairs and into the sitting room. She smiled at the sight. Her father was dancing with her mother in the kitchen. Nowel, Cathy and Conrad were on the couch watching with dreamy faces. 'Wait, Nowel! When was she here and where did she sleep?' She thought to herself before looking at Conrad. 'That bastard' She growled out to herself before walking to the front door.

She limped to the side road where the milkman was waiting on her. The milk was from her mother's farm and she didn't understand why they had to pay him everyday.

"Good morning young miss." The young man said with a toothy grin.

"Good morning sir," she smiled and moved her head in a forward movement with an outstretched hand with a jug and he went to work immediately.

" Thank you"

"You always come on time. Thank you. She smiled. Though I have a habit of sleeping in always. Sorry to always keep you waiting, And then handed him a two thousand note."

"No problem. I have many customers on this street anyway, he smiled with gratitude before driving away on his bicycle."

"Have a great day" he turned waving his hand over his head.

"You too. Bye."

The mans ability to charm everyone was another arrow in his quiver and helped him in his business life. He was good with people; always interacting with everyone freely. She took her time and sat on the post outside the gate and watched the road as the milk man drove further into the town. The sun gleamed lightly on her body; her eyes glistening as she received her doze of vitamin D. She walked clumsily back to the house and entered the kitchen. A slow song played on the speaker from the counter. Her mother was stewing grain in the saucepan as her dad removed cups from the cupboard all the time smiling and stealing glances at one another. She just shook her head and handed the milk in the jug to her mother. She caught the jug and made a quick turn and then poured the milk in the mixed porridge before turning to her partner. 'Tonta' by Bruno K was playing on the radio. She walked to the counter and checked which station they had tuned and it was 91.3 Capital fm. She laughed at the sight before her and joined the rest on the couch. The two had some how ended up on the table with the porridge singing. They each had a spatula, swaying and singing to the music. Her father extended his hand and she rounded the table to his side. He then scooped porridge and blew on it and fed her mother. It must have tasted sweet and she smiled at the action. They then proceeded with sharing it among the cups on the table. Everyone stayed silent and smiling while admiring their parents. They were perfect for each other. It was sweet that they completed each other. They gave an example that true love withstands all odds and it is about staying together no matter what the other is going through, making decisions together and keeping happiness at all times in all conditions. They always fulfilled their duties as parents and elders in the society. They finished with the porridge and started applying blue band on each slice of bread and distributing it equally among them all.

So, the family was happy like that; little things made them whole and accomplished. They forgot about their troubles and responsibilities for once and went out to the beach. The day was bright and the sun was scorching hot, glimmering on their soft tanned black skin in flames. The best remedy was water, very cold water. Jedda nipped to the shores and sat on the stone. Very far from everyone else. Her lose sleeve falling off, determined in its mission to annoy her. She wore tiny beach shorts with a bralette and covered it all with a transparent dress. She was adorable and she lay on the stone and viewed further into the sky. At this point, she felt emotional and distant. She had this nostalgic look on her face. Remembering the last time, the two families joined to have fun at the beach.

'It was on a fine Saturday evening. Estella and her mother had succeeded in convincing the head teacher that the kids needed some time off books. And it was true. No moment could beat the joy they felt when they were told to pack and head to dorm because their parents wanted to take them somewhere. They did everything very fast. They had been in class going through some missed notes with the math teacher. That guy really loved his numbers more than his wife. Even on a weekend, he missed no lesson period and always loaded them with many assignments in the term.

Jedda and Nowel were best friends but at the time, Conrad hated her with a passion. He had pushed her out of the car when she attempted to sit next to him. He hated everything she was and always made fun of her poetry. He could always do a number on her notes. He only let her near when his twin sister was there. She never understood why he did that. She was a good person and did everything she could to make sure that everyone was happy. She always hoped that one day, things would change. That she will be in his good grace. Of course, even at the time, she was high spirited which annoyed Conrad so much. He had never met someone with so much faith and hope for life like Jedda. So delicate but bold, fascinating, inspiring and creative. She made everything fun and had a smile all the time. This gave him more motivation to hate her.

The two happy parents who had just joined forces not so long, drove the kids to the beach and brought out all the food and drinks they had prepared. They lay mats on the bank and sat down. They all ate as they watched the water throw wave to wave, pushing even more sand on the beach. They all played volley ball when their fathers came and had a lot of fun. It was a day to remember. Jedda had left them all and went to sit on the stone. She lay her cloth gently on the stone and lowered her sunglasses to look up in the sky. She put her hands under her head and cradled to the side. And got lost in the beauty of the sky. After that, she took out her pen and note book and started writing. That was the day she found her calling. Every word she lay on the paper was sweet and filled emotion, so deep, so true, so well-formed, carved in beautiful writing. The same day they made up with Conrad. He had been a pain to her all the time that she couldnt believe it when he sat next to her. He looked so deep in thought at the time and if she hadnt seen the tears in his eyes, she couldnt have believed she heard a sniff.

She turned to him and hid her note under her cloth. "why are you here?" she asked in a rush to escape. Why are you crying? she inched closer to where he sat; concern etched in her voice. He said no word but cleaned his face. He took his time answering as if pondering whether to answer her or not.

"I saw dad slap mum. They exchanged a lot of cruel words but then dad snapped and pushed her down. Mum is crying. " he said and turned his back on her.

Old habits die hard she muttered annoyed at his sudden show of emotion. "Are they fighting again?"

" I think so. But then dad has gone. He left with your dad." Conrad said rubbing his tears away. The boy looked sad and she let him sleep on her cloth. She kept on wondering what caused this. The sudden tangle in the air. What happened to the best parents Conrad had.

She viewed life differently back then. Jedda felt alive at the time. So full of life, she had the energy of a deer. Always ready to scary away when it gets tough but too confident tomorrow is and will be better. Just like Bambi in Felix Saltens book, the deer that knew all at a tender age and had to create and fend for himself. The only difference was in the gender and status of life. But she knew better now. All her decisions matter now and that is one hard thing to accept. She wished she were young again. Like how they were at the park. She was in love with flowers and play. In reality, she saw Conrad as Bambi. And she pitied him but also hated him for everything. Everything that he is and will become one day. A selfish and confident guy who is willing to take but not give back.