CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Switching on the electric kettle in the kitchen, she went to the school canteen to buy 'tea escorts'

As she nipped back to dorm, she saw a car down the road. It made a turn on the next stop that led to J. F Kennedy. As the plate number came to her view, she realized it was Estella's car, Nowel's mother. She ran to the gate and helped Nowel out of the car as it stopped in the parking. It was a squealing moment as they kept on hugging and making ridiculous noises. They carried her luggage to dorm and Estella helped her settle in before leaving for work.

Jedda carried the electric kettle to their room. They were the only ones in a two-room bedroom. She set breakfast for two and passed a plate of fried cassava to Nowel and a cup of spiced ginger tea.

They talked about their holiday and the fun stuff they did. Nowel talked about her two cute cousins who looked alike. They wore the same clothes and made it hard for everyone to identify who was who. They always confused their mother as she couldn't identify them. It was always scary when you met one in the sitting room and the other come out of the bedroom. It was a super power they had as Nowel put it. But despite the absence of her brother, she was happy to be at school again. At least she would have a distraction. They will be reading a lot and writing a lot of tests to care. She had Jedda and Betsy as friends to keep her strong and spunky.

They talked until it was time to leave for their first period at ten. In the first week, lessons started at ten which gave students enough time to time to settle in. Nowel had come early at seven with her mother just to catch the first lesson.

They dressed smartly in their uniform which was a white short-sleeved shirt, a knee-length high waisted khaki skirt and white body stockings. They finished it with black simple leather shoe. Together, with their black designer bag packs, they made fantastic and enthralling model students of J. F Kennedy. They kept on with the chatter as they hoofed-it to Miss. Sadie's class.

They occupied the front desk and prepared their books before the lesson started. It was always fun with Miss. Sandie and better when you prepared before she started teaching.

Jedda kept on listening and jotting the most important facts and areas that needed emphasis while answering questions to do with prose. She smiled when she made jokes in class. She was a true elocutionist.

After the literature lesson, they kept on juggling free periods with lessons as well as revision of history and divinity.

In two weeks, they were having mock examinations. So, they really had no time of engaging with other students and activities at school. Most of their time was spent in the library doing research and in study groups. They only rested in their beds at six in the evening and woke up at five in the morning for preps. The other stops in their schedule were breakfast, lunch and supper. The head teacher had been forthright about the maddening stage they had to go through to achieve success in their UACE. He had informed them that 'the roots are bitter but the fruits are sweet' and they needed consistency and determination to win against laziness and time-framed obstructions. Some students fell sick and had to go back home for three days. But Jedda and Nowel never lost their cool.

They woke up at two before any o her student and read from their rooms. They were indeed in a rush to leave high-school.

When it was time for their final exams, they prayed to God for guidance and wisdom. They involved the whole class everyday and conducted study groups that were serious. Nowel and Jedda did the same combination and were always together. They made a strong team that was determined to win and not lose.