《 12 》

My eyebrows furrowed at the sight before me

My eyebrows furrowed at the sight before me. The remaining parts of the jet were scattered all over the place, fire still burning through the materials. It wasn't really a jet, considering how deform it looked. Glass was all over the pavement and part of the runway. Even underneath my jet. So many shards of glass and metal, just for one jet?

I turned to the worker who stood beside me, speaking through his earpiece. "What exactly happened? I noticed there's glass shards even on the driveway" He lowered his finger from the device in his ear after I questioned him.

"Not only the jet exploded ma'am, but the largest hangar did too." He replied in the most monotone way I had ever heard. I raised an eyebrow as I kept examining the disaster.

"What are you doing here, Miss Díaz?" I heard someone say from behind me. Turning around, I recognized the person as Angelo. He looked- wasted.

"Well, let's just say I wanted to make sure my business was all under control, Mr. D'Amico." I looked him straight in the eye, his expression beginning to mimic mine. That didn't really make sense- right?

"What she meant was- we all came here to check on her property, since the rumors about the explosion spread fast-" Mateo intervened and stood by my side, placing his tattooed hand around my waist. I placed my hand over his, following his gaze to where Angelo stood, puzzled.

"Right. I'll be going now, if you'll excuse me." With that, he gave me a small nod and stepped back towards a man in a wheelchair and a lady standing behind him. The man seemed to be arguing, and the lady attempting to calm him down.

I turned to Mateo, poking his hand with my nails- causing him to flinch and remove his hand off me. He stuck his tongue out at me, giving me a playful glare but it was all quickly replaced by a cold expression.

"You and Nathan, go make sure the damage gets all fixed by the morning." I said, motioning towards the jet with my hand. After a brief pause, I spoke again before Mateo could walk off. "Oh and, do you perhaps know where are my painkillers?- I really need to make it through the night."

He turned on his heel to look at me while snapping his fingers. "Migraine?" All I did was nod, the slight aching inside my head felt like it got even more intense each minute that passed. I walked towards my car behind him, leaning against the hood. He quickly managed to get a bottle of painkillers and hand them to me. I gave him a small smile in appreciation, before taking a pair of pills in my hand and swallowing them dry.

After everything he's done for me, I felt like rewarding him. Soon. Perhaps for his birthday-

"Gaby go sit in the passenger's seat and rest, Nathan and I will finish making sure everything's in order." Mateo's calm voice was all I heard when he snapped me out of my thoughts. I frantically nodded in response, allowing him to guide me to the passenger's seat.

He closed the door right after I sat down inside the car, looking as if nothing had happened. I watched as he walked over to Nathan, which seemed to be arguing about something and pointing towards the scratches on the jet. I hissed under my breath as another car parked in front of mine, the extremely bright headlights not helping with my migraine.