《 35 》

Why did it pain me to see Gabriella like that? Why did I even care?

It could be because I have a sense of family in me, the one my mother taught me. Or the fact I'm being empathic towards her. Either way, I feel like I need to protect and help her. Because if I were to lose her, it would also mean game over for me.

Yet I waited for a response. Those emerald green eyes of her were dark with what seemed like a mix of anger and sorrow. They once looked much more brighter and had that one glimmer which is now missing.

I started to regret even asking her anything in the first place. I just couldn't bear to keep seeing her hold back and turn her feelings into anger. Yet that anger was one I could tell she was storing inside her head. Maybe everything that's happened so far has taken a much more different toll on her.

"I'm willing to keep this between us, if you'd like to talk..." I muttered as my gaze followed hers to her hands, which were now clenched.

She let out a shaky breath when I hesitantly placed my hand over hers and encouraged her to stop. I had no idea as to what I was doing but glanced at her reassuringly as her eyes met mine.

I thought she was going to say something else but, "Let's just get back to the estate."

And I thought we were making some progress...

I sighed and stood up, taking my blazer from her hands. My eyes followed each of her movements as she grabbed her own jacket and threw it over her shoulders.

After she walked down to the main deck, I made sure to discard our empty bottles of beer and turn off the yacht's lights. By the time I walked back onto the dock, Gabriella had already walked out of the shed. I secured everything and attempted to catch up to her by the stairs, but she beat me to it and reached the top.

Since she was reaching the car, I unlocked it from a distance so she could get in. I went straight towards the driver's seat because she had already sat down in her own seat and closed the door behind her.

The drive was composed of pure silence. I glanced her way every now and then, but she just glared out the window the whole time. My grip on the steering wheel tightened as I held back the urge to say something.

I've learned this is exactly what's troubling her. She just walks away from whatever's in front of her and avoids it instead of facing it. I genuinely just wanted to talk to her and if I could, help. It's true I like to come around and annoy her now and then, but it isn't like she'll give in to anything. I guess she's stuck wanting to live in the past...

But, who even am I to tell her that? "Remember your place D'Amico." That's what she said. It's true I'm just an ally providing her the help she needs with her business while she helps me with mine. And that will most probably never change.

But... I mean, couldn't I at least make a friend out of an ally?

I guess not.

After we arrived and I parked the car in the garage, I sighed as I turned to Gabriella. "You coming?"