《 43 》

"I did nothing

"I did nothing." I argued while subconsciously tightening my grip around Gabriella.

He scowled at me before attempting to take Gabriella. I only pressed her against my chest and picked her up bridal style.

"What's your problem?" Mateo growled behind me as I began to go out the door, my eyes frantically looking around until I reached the living room.

"The problem is, you're here following me around and haven't thought about calling for help." I glanced back at him over my shoulder as I set Gabriella on the couch and grabbed her wrist to place my thumb over the visible veins. I could feel her pulse, but it was awfully low.

Without another word, Mateo turned around and dashed up the stairs. My sigh came out as a shaky one while I kept trying to help her gain consciousness but she wouldn't respond. My hand tightened around hers the moment I heard three pair of steps approaching at a fast pace.

Mateo had come back with Luciano, and Isabella followed. The second she saw Gabriella, she practically ran over to her side. I let go of Gabriella's hand and tucked my own in my pocket before stepping back to let Luciano check her.

I carefully observed each item Luciano reached for from the large metal briefcase he had brought with him. He constantly gave Isabella a reassuring look while he checked Gabriella's blood pressure, and then checked her vitals in general.

"What's that?" I straight-up asked once I spotted him filling a syringe with a clear liquid.

"D'Amico, you might want to check on everyone else..." He sighed once he finished preparing it. My shoulders stiffened when he continued. "Severe food poisoning. That's why she fainted the way she did. Plus, she's got a pretty high fever."

Then he turned to Isabella. "Love, can you go for an ice pack in the freezer?"

At this, Mateo slapped the back of his head and earned a glare from Luciano after Isabella stood up and ran to the kitchen.

"Will she be alright?" I hesitantly asked, avoiding Mateo's gaze which felt like having a gun aimed at your forehead.

Luciano hummed and kept working on Gabriella once Isabella returned and handed him the ice pack. Watching them take care of Gabriella made me feel relief, but I couldn't afford to show it on the outside.

Then I decided to go check on everyone else, including my mother, but they were all in perfect conditions. By the time I came back, Gabriella was being carried by Mateo to her bedroom. She was still unconscious, but her face had gained a bit more color.

While chewing on the inside of my cheek, I fought the urge to follow after them and headed towards my bedroom.

After I got there, I stripped and went for a shower. The warm water helped release some of the tension that rested on my shoulders, but I just couldn't stop thinking about Gabriella's state.