Prologue

Boston, December 2019

"Sutures are in place." I said as my hands moved.

"We're done here. Let's pack her." Dr. Smith said.

"Hold on. I think I still see some necrosis here. More retraction." I said as a nurse gave me a cloth.

"Systolic dropped to 80." The anesthesiologist informed me.

"We need to control the bleeding and start packing." Dr. Smith said, intently looking at me.

"We get the necrosis, and then I will tie off the bleeder. Forceps." I said as my hands continued to move, receiving the forceps and continued.

"Down to 70." the anesthesiologist said.

"Dr. Jones." Dr. Smith said.

"Two seconds." I replied with my eyes fixated on the open stomach of the patient.

"We don't have two seconds." Dr. Smith quickly answered.

"Then one." I said as I looked at him, tension inside the operating room can be felt, "Scissors." I said, focusing back at the patient.

"That's it." I said, taking out the tissue, "Forceps. I found the bleeder. Clamp." I said as my hands moved quickly. "Tie it off." I said as Dr. Smith immediately obliged.

Silence engulfed the room, the pumping of machines could be heard and seconds later, "75 and climbing." The anesthesiologist informed, relief can be seen in his eyes.

Exhaling a breath, "Scissors." I said and Dr. Smith cut the thread, "All right. Let's pack her." I added as I looked at Dr. Smith. Tilting my head to the side as the surgery was successful.

Removing the scrubs as I exhaled a breath, "Another success, Dr. Jones." He said, I looked at him and chuckled.

"It's snowing." I said as I looked at the window of our shared office. "Winter is coming." Dr. Smith replied, "So, what will you do this Christmas?" He asked as I shrugged my shoulders.

"The usual." I replied, "Why don't you come to our house? Fena will surely be happy to see you and the kids, they already miss their godmother." He said as I looked at him, giving him a smile.

"I'm okay, Abel." I said as he looked at me, worried dancing in his eyes. "Okay. But our house is always open to you, RJ." He said as I nodded my head.

Changing my clothes and putting on my coat, "I have to go. Call me if you need something." I said as Abel nodded his head.

Closing my eyes as I was about to sleep, hearing something clatter in my living room. I abruptly opened my eyes.

I slowly got up, careful enough not to make a noise, grabbing my golf club. I slowly opened the door.

Slowly approaching the living room, a silhouette of a man can be seen placing things inside his bag.

Thief.

Discreetly approaching him as I swing the golf club, hitting him straight to his head, his unconscious body laid on the floor, sighing as I looked at him.

Hearing a clicking sound behind me, my body froze.

There's another one.

"Drop that or I'll shoot you." He said, in a threatening manner, "I said drop it." He said, feeling something cold behind my head.

Slowly letting go of the golf club, "Turn around." He said as I obliged.

"You're beautiful." He commented as I looked at him, a full head mask covering his face as our eyes met. "Such a waste that I have to kill you." He said as my breath hitched.