Chapter 6

Laying down on my bed, looking up at the ceiling, lifting my left wrist up and stared at my soulmarks.

Sighing as I run my fingers to each one of them.

Placing my hand back down to my side as I continued to gaze up at the ceiling.

Looking at the clock on my nightstand as it illuminated the time in it.

3:00 AM

"Too early." I mumbled, covering my face with the blanket, closing my eyes as I tried to sleep.

Clicking my tongue as I removed the blanket, sighing as I began to toss around the bed.

Finding a comfortable position so that I can go back to sleep.

Jolting as someone knocked on the door, I got up and opened it, seeing it was James, tilting my head to the side and looking at him confusingly.

"James." I said, "What's up?" I asked, "I heard you can't sleep." He said as my eyebrows furrowed, "How?" I asked.

"Agents have sensitive senses." He replied, "Of course." I mumbled, earning a chuckle from him.

"So, mind if I join you until you fall asleep?" He asked, raising my eyebrow as I nodded my head, opening the door wide enough to let him in.

Closing the door, James sat on the bed, looking at him confused at his actions.

"Come on. You have to sleep, it's still early." He said, patting the bed, sighing as I obliged and laid down.

Grabbing the blanket as silence engulfed the room.

"Tell me about your life in Boston." He said, looking at me, exhaling a breath, remembering what my life in Boston was.

"My life there was... happy, content. Living in a house full of love with my parents and brother. I'm sure that's all that a girl could ask for." I started as I smiled remembering every moment I had with my parents and Claude.

"Well, we can't always be happy, can we?" I asked and looked at him, "As much as I love that place, I grew to hate it as well." I continued, averting my eyes away, "It was... It happened during my graduation, the reason why I hate that place now. I was so happy that day that I've finally achieved my dream, to be a Doctor."

"But I guess I'm really not fated to be happy at all. That day..." pausing as I swallowed a lump in my throat, "That day was the day my parents and my brother died in a car accident. And that day my life shattered, my dreams became useless. I felt nothing at all. My body became numb hearing the news of them arriving at the hospital dead on the spot."

"I felt a part of me died with them as well. I cried for days and nights. Days, weeks, months, and years passed by as I continued to mourn for them. Terribly missing them. So much. How badly I want to hear their voices and laughter. But thankfully, a friend of mine, a colleague, watched over me. Never left my side. I was thankful to him. Not to leave me even though I tried to pry him away countless times." I said, chuckling remembering how stubborn Abel was.

"As he stayed by my side together with his wife, they helped me move on. I began to slowly accept that they'll never come back no matter how I cried or begged them to. I busied myself. A distraction to forget the pain and become a surgeon, but a hole was still there in my heart. Longing for them."

"I even became the godmother of their children. Their twins. They also became my distraction, a great distraction, I may add. Those two were stubborn and cheeky." I continued, a soft laugh escaping from me.

"But then again, it seems fate is cruel to me. I guess I'm not really destined to be happy at all. They were gone. And here I am left alone once again in this cruel world. Alone. So, my life in Boston was... a bittersweet experience." I said, looking back at James.