Chapter.1

Chapter one: Misery

Rain Winters

Home? What is that even? It used to be a place that was filled with warmth and family laughter.

Family meals always took the cup because they were the best. When everyone was gathered at the dinner table and sharing how their day was.

Never once had I thought our new norm, would be the sound of shouting and cutlery being broken downstairs. At first it would be once in awhile, but things escalated quite quickly.

No one knows what really went wrong and yet the blame is on me.

My room door opens with a thud and mother comes stumbling in. She's drunk! I'm not even close to suprised. I quickly stand up straight as she takes a step forward and starts to circle me.

"You've gained weight." She slurs, but yet her firm tone sends shivers down my spine.

Ever since my older sister Prudence disappeared that many years ago, and Heather sent away to live with relatives, mother had been obsessed with me.

The clothes I wear, how I look and how I behave. She makes sure I have a perfect body, and that I always obey the rules and orders. She never fails to teach me a lesson if I don't listen and obey her every rule.

For some reason even when drunk she has a tendency to check my weight, not that I have any to begin with.

I stand still and say nothing, she continues to inspect me from top to bottom.

"Make sure you father doesn't see you, he'll be disappointed." She breaks the silence then leaves the room.

                            ~~~

It's 2 A.M and I walk down to get a glass of water. Walking down the creaking stairs, I hear two hushed tones speaking in the kitchen, which is weird. Mother and father are usually asleep by now.

Taking a step closer and making sure I'm not seen, I try listening in on the conversation.

"His willing to pay good money for her." Father's slurry gruff voices says.

"I'm not sure Lucian, Rain's too fragile for this." I could sense worry in mother's tone.

"Since when have you started caring for that slut."

The next mintues are followed by silence. Until mother whispers.

"She's still my daughter!"

Father snorts. "That I have no doubt about."

I walk back upstairs, shocked, forgetting about my water.

Where they talking about me? God no I hope not. They wouldn't sell me right? I'm their daughter.

I tip toe my way back to my room. My parents conversation replaying in my head like a stuck record.