Chapter. 3

Chapter three: Marriage

Rain Winters

Ever since that visit from those mystery men, my parents have been acting strangely around me. Or maybe I'm just oblivious.

Whenever I left for the Home, I would always notice ,there was a black car standing near the house. At first I thought it was nothing, but as weeks went by it was always there.Then again it's Rain (me) we're talking about, I may be oblivious.

"Rain, come sit." Father said, both my parents were seated in the living room. At least this time he looked sober.

The atmosphere was tense, until mother broke the suffocating silence by clearing her throat.

"Your mother and I have been given an offer... It includes the Moretti's." Father started.

I could sense something was off the time they had called me down.

The Moretti's were highly known throughout the whole of New York and in the business world. Rumours voiced they were a crime family but I wasn't really interested and my social life never existed so I don't know much about them.

Mother cleared her throat and gestured for father to continue, which he did.

"They have asked for your hand in marriage which your mother and I have agreed."

"W-h-hat?" I gasped. I knew this was coming, I saw it from a mile.

"Yes, the wedding is in two weeks. His a fine looking man you'll learn to obey and love him." Mother said with a hint of happiness.

"B-u-ut you can't do that. Wha-at about my studies."

"Housewife's don't need degrees Rain." Father said with a hint of annoyance.

One look from him and I knew to drop this matter. This is what they were talking about that night.

The Moretti family did not ask for hand in marriage rather my own parents had sold me.

The rest of the afternoon locked up in the small room, today's events replayed in my head, like a delicate memory.

At times I wish I had one of my sisters with me, but no none of them were here. They left me to fend for myself.

Only the sound of my sobbs could be heard but I stopped as soon as I heard the sound of my door creak open.

I tried pretending as if I am already sleeping, but that dirt trick never worked on my mother as she spoke.

"I know you're awake Rain." She says. By the tone of her voice I know she's not drunk. Thank the gods.

"Why would you let him give me away like that mother?" I try to say forcing the burning tears away.

"It's for your own good Rain." She says in a moetone voice.

I stared at her with disbelief written all over my face. As much as I dispaised both my parents, a part of me still believed that they loved and did everything in the name of love.

Oh how was I wrong.

"Sleep now, you'll need the strength for tomorrow." She dismissed me, Again!

I let out a annoyed huff and watch as her shadow leaves the room. Soon after darkness takes over me and I fall into a dreamless sleep.