Chapter One

Chapter One

I woke up, groggily yanking off my silk sleeping mask. I glanced at my clock, seeing that I should have left the house ten minutes ago if I'd wanted to get to school on time.

I got up out bed and lazily shuffled to my bathroom. I took a quick fifteen minute shower, willing the warm water and luxurious soaps to undo the kinks and knocks in my back. I felt so weird sleeping here in this big, cold house. I knew there was no way I could ever feel comfortable here or have it feel like a home.

I wrapped myself in a plush towel and stepped out of the shower. I blowdried my long, dark brown hair and ran a little moisturizer through it before styling it into big, loose curls. I waltzed into my walk-in closet, looking for something... presentable. After all, it was my first day and I didn't want to be immediately labeled as the school whore.I finally decided on a black Oscar de la Renta scoopneck short-sleved blouse with a delicate lace design and silk chiffon ruffles, maroon skinny jeans, and nude pumps.

I marched out of my closet and slid my big leather Yves Saint Laurent tote onto the crook of my arm. I didn't feel like putting on any make-up, but the first impression is the lasting impression. I grabbed a compact mirror from my bag and applied a little mascara, blush, and nude lipstick. After I was done I tossed the make-up back into my bag, along with my cell phone.

I made my way downstairs, looking for any signs of my mother. Of course she wouldn't be here; she didn't want to. I went to the kitchen and stuck my head in the fridge, grabbed a granola bar, and shut the door.

I went outside and locked the front door behind me, making my way to the garage. It felt so cold and unwelcoming. I climbed into the silver Audi my dad had shipped to me, cringing at the feel of the cold leather. I frowned at the thought of having to drive around in an old guy car before backing out of the garage and speeding down the driveway and out onto the street. Once on the road I slowed down, not in any hurry to get to school. I stopped by Starbucks and grabbed a cup of coffee, figuring I would end up needing it. When I finally reached school and parked, I saw that it was almost time for third period.

Grande White Mocha, no whip, in hand, I got out of the car and headed to the office.

I sighed deeply. Here goes nothing.

I opened the door, immediately spotting the secretary. She was blonde and beautiful. I walked over to her desk and looked up when she saw me.

"May I help you?" she asked kindly with a smile. "I'm Ms. Baker."

"Hi, Ms. Baker," I said politely, smiling back. "I'm new."

"Oh yes!" she exclaimed as if a lightbulb had gone off in her head. "You're the new student we're expecting. Julianne, right?"

"Actually, it's Julianna," I said matter-of-factly, emphasizing the last syllable. "Jule-ee-awn-uh."

"Sorry, my mistake," she apologized. She shuffled through some of her papers for a few moments before handing me a few from the stack. "Your schedule, school map, locker number and combination."

I grabbed everything. "Thanks."

"No problem," she smiled. "Chloe here will show you to your locker and first - actually, your second period class."

I looked to where she was looking and saw a girl stand and walk over. I hadn't noticed her before.

"Hi," she said. "I'm Chloe, which Ms.Baker has already mentioned." She stuck out her hand.

"Hi," I said, shaking her hand uncomfortably.

"Shall we?" she asked.

"Yeah, we have to," I said pointedly.