Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

"Let's talk," my mother said as I walked downstairs.

"No," I said, as I walked into the kitchen. I admired my reflection in the sleek, silver refrigerator. Today I was wearing a black Theory stretch-jersey V-neck dress, Wolford elaborately crafted black spider-web tights, a grey puff-shouldered McQ wool-blend blazer with gold zip detailing, black Givenchy leather ankle boots with grosgrain ribbon detail, a 10-karat gold-plated Giles & Brother brass necklace with topaz and crystal encrusted arrow pendant, and a black Anya Hindmarch leather tote.

"Why not?"

After deciding I wanted my hair up, I slid a ponytail holder from my arm and pulled my hair up into a tasteful, messy ponytail.

"Hello?" my mother asked.

"What?" I snapped.

She sighed. "What's the occasion?"

"What do you mean?"

"The way you're dressed."

"What about it?"

"You look very nice."

"Okay."

"What's the occasion?"

"My friend bet me that I couldn't dress like a slut for a week."

"Oh!"

"Uh huh."

"Let's talk," she repeated.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because I said so."

"You can't shut me out forever."

"I can and I will."

"Julianna, you're being irrational."

"No, Laura, I'm not."

I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and stalked off out the kitchen, outside, and to my car. I slid into my car and shut the door. I cranked up the engine and sped off down the driveway.

I was halfway to school when my bag vibrated. Being sure to keep one hand on the wheel I thrust my arm into my bag, in search of my cell phone. By the time I'd gotten it, it stopped vibrating. Just as I was about to toss it back into my bag it began vibrating again.

"Hello?" I answered, my tone dripping with annoyance.

Alex chuckled. "Frustrated much?"

"You got that right!"

"And why is that? The morning just started."

"Well I almost lost my life trying to find my cell phone. If I swerve off this fucking road and die right now, know that it's your fault."

"How would it be my fault?"

"You're distracting the driver."

"Uhh, no. You're distracting yourself."

"No, you're distracting me! Your annoying ass kept calling me, so the retarded phone just kept vibrating!"

He laughed. "Stop blaming it on me. Have some self control and put the damn phone down."

"Gladly."

"Wait, not just yet."

"Now if I die, it really will be your fault."

"Anyway. Can you come over tonight?"

"Sorry, no can do."

"Aww, why not?" he whined.