Julianna Catching Fire: Epilogue

Epilogue

A slight breeze tickled my denim shorts-covered legs while the blazing hot summer sun beat down on my back. I flipped my hair over my shoulder and looked down the street one more time. I huffed and took a seat on the curb.

Yale would be ready for me in three short weeks and I hadn't accomplished anything I'd set out to do. All summer long all I'd done was study and look at the campus and read ahead on the material. I was bored and tired and my head was about to burst.

I needed a breath of fresh air, a quick dose of summer fun, and a new perspective. And we'd decided that a road trip across the country with no suitcases and lots of curiosity would be a great way to do it.

Just as I was about to reach for my phone a shiny red convertible pulled up in front me.

"About time!" I shouted as I stood up. "I was about to turn around."

He rolled his eyes. "Now we both know you wouldn't do that. Like the ride?"

I raised an eyebrow as I slid into the car. "I hate it. But it suits the quest."

"I thought so."

"The sun's been really good to you," I commented as I pulled a short lock of hair that had been highlighted by the sun.

"Give it time, it'll do you good too."

"I bet."

"Are you sure about this?"

"No," I answered honestly, "I'm not. So go before I change my mind."

He smiled and put the car into drive. "As you wish."

I slipped my sunglasses off my head and onto my eyes as he sped off down the street.

It was true, I didn't know if I was ready. I didn't know what would happen on this trip. I didn't know if it would turn out to be a complete waste of time.

But I did know that it was okay to not be ready and to not know the answers to everything. Sometimes it was best if you had no idea where you were headed, so you could stumble upon the greatest things.

And I also knew that no matter how things turned out, in the end it would be for the best. I knew that it never hurt to try.

_________________________________________________________________

Check out the sequel, Julianna Aflame.