Chapter Thirty-Three

The feel of a finger trailing along my skin in circles woke me up. But once I opened my eyes I realized Alex wasn't making circles, but tracing the bruises along my lower back. I unconsciously pulled away.

"Why are you doing that?" I snapped, sitting up. While I was asleep Alex had slid me out my pants and sweatshirt, and into a pair of his boxers.

"Sorry," he apologized. "I mean...it's not like I was searching for them."

"Whatever," I said, before stalking off to the bathroom. I shut the door and quickly splashed some cold water on my face. Alex came in right after I'd finished brushing my teeth.

"I'm sorry," he said, snaking his arms around my waist and resting his chin in the crook of neck. "I didn't know it was such a big deal."

"Really? You really didn't think that would bother me? I want to know why you thought that, please explain it to me. "

"I wasn't thinking - "

"Clearly." How could he be so clueless?

He planted a soft kiss on my forehead. "I'm really sorry. Clearly I don't know how to deal with this, not that you do, but... I'll try to be a bit more sensitive. I don't know, they intrigued me, I guess. How could someone possibly do that you? I just... I'm sorry."

I nodded with a tight smile, still a little upset, as I took in my haggard appearance. "I look a mess." My eyes were red with slight bags under them, my skin looked oily, my hair was a tangled, stringy mess, my bottom lip was swollen, and my body looked...skinnier, and more frail than usual. My ever-present curves weren't very visible.

"You look beautiful," Alex smiled, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"You have to say that."

"I mean it."

"Lie to me again, and I'll kick your face in. And trust me, I can do it - I took lessons."

He chuckled. "Okay, okay. I'll take your word for it. I'm taking you to your house so you can get changed.

"For what?"

"We're going out."

I took a good look at him and realized that he was fully dressed. "Out where?"

"It's a surprise date."

"Tell me."

"I can't."

I rolled my eyes. "You have to, or else I won't know what to wear."

He sighed. "Something casual, okay? Now go put your clothes on so we can go."

"I'm not sure if I'm up for this right now..."

"Please? I just want you to get things off your mind and have a little fun."

"Okay," I mumbled.

I got dressed quickly and then we were on the way to my house. I was nervous, shaking my leg the entire ride, afraid of not knowing whether or not Liam would be there.

"You okay?" Alex asked, cutting the engine.

"I'm okay," I assured him after I saw that Liam's car wasn't in the driveway.

"Do you want me to go in with you?"

"It's okay. I'll be out in a minute."

"Okay." He leaned over and gave me a kiss.