Chapter Twenty-Three

I didn't go to school for the next week. I wasn't ready. I didn't go out on the weekend. I stayed home for a week, lazing around and moping all day. I didn't answer anyone's calls.

I had to man-up, so that was what I tried to do. On Monday morning I woke up on time, ate breakfast, and got dressed. I was just about to walk out the door when I froze. I couldn't do it. So I gave myself one more day.

Wednesday morning I woke up, determined to show myself that I could do it. I was strong enough.

I took a shower and got dressed quickly in a Sandro mid-blue denim-effect shirt dress, adding a thin leather wait-cinching tan belt; the dressed stopped about mid-thigh. I slipped on a pair of tan leather Michael Kors sandals and slid a Miu Miu camel, tan, and chocolate leather hobo bag onto my shoulder.

If I looked good, then I'd feel good. It was all about faking it until I made it.

I grabbed my cell phone along with the car keys to my new Range Rover and made my way out the house.

***

"There she is!" Taylor exclaimed as I sat down at the lunch table. "Twenty minutes late!"

"Where have you been?!" Chloe shrieked as she gave me a hug along with Abby and Mallory.

"I just needed a little R&R," I confessed. "Has anything exciting happened while I was gone?"

"Sadly, no."

"I think it's official that you're the life of the party," Abby admitted.

I chuckled. "That's what I've been trying to tell you from day one."

"So, have you talked to your hot chauffeur?"

"No, and I don't plan on it."

"What? Why?"

"I don't want to overwhelm the poor guy. I'm too much woman for him."

She laughed.

"Does that mean I can have him?" Abby asked hopefully.

"No way, sweetcheeks. He's mine,"Mallory claimed.

"Actually," I smiled, "I saw the way Taylor was looking at him."

Everyone laughed.

"Hey!" Taylor exclaimed.

"Listen, you don't have to hide it anymore," I told him. "We're your friends. We will always love you for who you really are."

He shot me a flat look. "Ha-ha."

"Come on, bro. Lighten up," Braden said.

"It's not that funny," Dean admitted.

"It's okay," I said. "I understand. Dean wants the chauffeur, Taylor wants Dean, and Braden wants me. It all makes perfect sense."

They howled with laughter.

"You're totally right," Braden said. "Spot on."

"I know. I have a fifth sense."

Everyone looked at me wierdly.

"Don't you mean a sixth sense?" Chloe said.

I smacked myself in the head. "Sorry, blonde moment. No offense."

"None taken," Abby laughed as the bell rang.

Everyone gathered up their stuff.

"Ready for Mr. Romano's class?" Mallory asked.