Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five

"And finally, my fellow graduates - yes, this long and hopefully not-so-boring speech is almost over." Scattered chuckles rippled throughout the auditorium "We - or you, rather, have inched your ways through the same hallways, slouched in the same seats in the same classrooms in the same buildings since the grueling, hot and itchy days of September, staring out the window in Calculus wishing the bell would ring and writing on your desk, willing for lunch to hurry up by at least one millisecond. Fond, and some less than desirable, memories have been built here by you, by me...by us. And now, here we are. Our four years are up. We leave behind these tattered walls and structured classes, but hold fast our memories and our life lessons. The future awaits us. Success is groomed to greet us. We have our entire lives ahead of us. Our time is now. Tear down walls. Build bridges. I wish you all the very best and send you off with my blessings; after all, we're heading out to the REAL real world. Good luck - you're going to need it."

Everyone in the auditorium erupted into cheers and applause. I smiled and searched the stands one more time before taking my seat.

"Thank you, Ms. Bailey," the principal said.

I smiled and nodded politely as the chain of my necklace under my graduation gown pressed coolly against my skin.

After a little while of braving through a few more mind-numbing speeches, it was time for us to get our diplomas. I took my place in line as I had practiced so many times. I took a look around the auditorium, taking everything in for a moment.

"Julianna Bailey."

I immediately smiled and began to walk forward. "Thank you," I said to the principal, stopping to pose as I held on to the rolled up slip of paper. I hurriedly switched my silver tassel from the right to the left side, and after the quick picture I made split-second eye contact with Braden and Chloe and then proceeded down the line to shake hands and take pictures with the vice principal, guidance counselors, some teachers, important staff, etc. I resumed my seat and, unlike the beginning of the ceremony, the rest of the graduation passed by in a quick, blurry haze. Before I knew it, the principal was saying his final words.

"...Congratulations Class of 2011!" the principal yelled.

"Whoo!" I yelled and then, thinking I was late, threw my cap up in the air. Surprisingly, the cap fell back down to where I was and I caught it. "Oh," I said awkwardly, "was I early?"

There was a moment of silence before laughter, and then the graduating class followed.

***

"That speech was great!" Mallory and Chloe squealed as they ran toward me.

"Thanks," I said, giving them both hugs. "I hope it was, I wrote it this morning as I was getting ready."

"You're kidding!" Abby shouted.

I shook my head.

"Well, regardless of how long it took, it was still good," Mallory said.

"I second that notion," Chloe agreed as she walked up.

"Thanks!" I said as I gave her a hug.

"Good speech," Taylor annouced as he and Braden arrived.

"Thanks," I repeated, giving him a hug as well.

Braden opened his mouth to say something but I held a finger up.

"Let me guess, good speech?" I asked.

"Actually, it was terrible," he joked.

"Touché," I smiled.

"Oh my god," Abby bursted out.