Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"You're not still sick, are you?" Abby complained.

I faked a small smile. "Healthy as a horse."

Chloe looked at me suspiciously as she changed into her top for gym.

I didn't have P.E. this year because this school, like my old one, only required one year of it. But some idiots had to cram into my seventh period and it got crowded, so the students who didn't necessarily need the class got to pick another. I chose gym because Abby, Chloe, and Mallory all had it this period. So convienient! But as Chloe stares me down, her face etched with worry, I wonder if it's a blessing or a curse.

"Hurry up girls!" Ms. Riles, the P.E. teacher, yelled. "Dodgeball today!"

I groaned audibly. My body was aching! Not from yoga or aerobics, but from Liam and his short temper.

"Aren't you gonna change?" Abby questioned.

"Um, no. I forgot to bring clothes for today," I told her.

"That's okay!" Chloe interjected, holding out a big T-shirt and some short-shorts which would do nothing to cover my extremely noticeable, fresh bruises.

"Thanks," I said, takignt he clothes tentatively.

"Hurry you guys. Lately Jessica's been giving me the stink eye and I want her to tell me how that red ball tastes," Abby said before skipping out of the locker room.

Now it was just me and Chloe.

"Are those clothes too small or..?" she questioned.

"No, they're fine."

"Then why aren't you changing?"

"I don't feel too good." I'd used that excuse on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, each excuse varying slightly.

"But - "

"Listen, I'll be out in a second. Okay?"

She stared at me for a second before taking a seat next to me on the bench.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I lied annoyedly. That was everyone's favourite question.

"No you're not. There's something going on with you. What's wrong?"

And here I was, thinking I was faking it so well. I had to admit that the charade was hard to keep up, and I was slacking off.

I stood up wordlessy, scooped up my bag, and began to exit the locker room.

"Julianna!" Chloe called. She grabbed onto my hand and in my attempt to shake her off, she yanked on the end of my grey sweatshirt, pulling the sleeve down and exposing my bruised shoulder and arm.

As she caught the sight of me she gasped and her eyes widened.

"Julianna?" she whispered.

I pulled my jacket sleeve up and ran out the locker room. Chloe was running right behind me, calling my name, as we went through the hallway, the surprisingly empty office, and spilled out into the parking lot. I stopped at my car and whirled around, upset that I hadn't dug my keys out of my bag beforehand.

"What?" I barked at her, ready to get out of here. Hopefully no one saw us leaving from the window in the hallway.

"What's going on with you?" she asked caustiously.

"I'm fine."

"Like hell you are!"

"There is NOTHING wrong with me."