Chapter Thirty-Seven

"How long have you been living here?" Braden said as we packed up the last of my things.

"Long enough," I sighed. "Which is why it's time for me to go."

We grabbed my last few bags and threw them into my car. After we closed everything up we climbed into my car.

"Do you mind me asking whose house that is?" Braden asked.

I buckled up and turned on the car. "Yes," I answered, backing up out the driveway. I knew bringing Braden over to Alex's house was really risky, but I needed to get everything out of there and I didn't want to do it alone.

"Do you mind me asking why you were living there?"

"Not particularly."

"So why?"

"Do you mind me answering it half way?"

"Not particularly."

I smiled. "Just know that I did the right thing and that you would be proud of me."

"Good."

"Depending on how you look at it."

He smirked. "That's more like it. I didn't want you getting too responsible on me."

I laughed. "Right. Because that wouldn't help any of us."

"It wouldn't!"

"I bet."

He cleared his throat. "So why were you there?"

I shrugged. "It was what was best for me at the time. I couldn't stay at home so I had to go somewhere. They offered and I couldn't refuse."

"I'm sure Chloe or Abby would've let you stay at their's. You know I would've let you stay at mine."

"I know, but...they knew about my situation immediately and they offered right away."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Well who lives there anyway?"

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Or bribe you. Or send you to Mexico. Either one works."

He snorted. "Right. Do I at least know them?"

"Um...maybe," I lied. "I think so."

"What do they look like?"

"A human being."

"What colour hair?"

"Brown."

"Eyes?"

"Brown, gosh."

"Height? Build? Glasses? Braces? Ca - "

"For Christ's sake just shut up!" I yelled, braking suddenly after I rolled up Braden's driveway.

We sat in an uncomfortable silence for a few minutes. 

I didn't mean to blow up on him and I immediately felt terribly about it. I was already under so much pressure and feeling so frustrated, him badgering me with questions didn't help at all. "Sorry," I finally croaked. "I just...you were asking me too many questions and it's frustrating to me because I can't tell you. Okay?"