Chapter 2: Going back to school and ending up in hospital

“You don’t have to go back so soon, ya know that right Kaitlin?” dad asked as I sat on the sofa in my school uniform waiting for Jack to come over. “It’s been a week…I want to go back…” I said, just staring ahead. In the week since my mum had died, I hadn’t done anything…just stayed in bed. I’d checked my Facebook a few times, logged on to messages and wall posts off people saying how sorry they were…none of them understood, they weren’t really sorry, what did they have to be sorry about? The fact they still had their mother in their life? The only people I’d spoken to since it happened was Scout, Rhiannon, Jack and Barry, Jack was still a little annoyed at the fact I was talking to Barry…I guess he still hadn’t gotten over the fact that Barry slept with his mum but at least he had a mum…I was dragged out of my thoughts by a knock on the door. I grabbed my bag and opened the door, letting a sad smile creep onto my face when I saw the scruffy hair of my best friend, “Hey, babe, you alright?” Jack said, he’d always called me babe, it’s just something we do as best friends, I call him baby and he calls me babe. “Yeah…I guess, you?” I said, he knew I was lying but didn’t say anything, that was another thing I loved about Jack, he knew when I was upset but allowed me to tell him in my own time instead of pressing me for the situation in hand. “Yeah I’m alright, shall we go?” Jack asked, I nodded and stepped out the door, closing it carefully behind me. Dad had offered to drive us but I didn’t want him to, I wanted to get into school early…See if I could catch Barry before he went into the PRU. “Can we go to the shop first, baby?” I asked as we started to walk to school “Course we can, babe, whatever you want, I’ll even buy whatever you want” Jack said, he held out his arm and I took it, he always made me feel better even though I was so broken nothing could fix me, Jack managed to do it bit by bit. We walked along the street, arm in arm until we got to the shop “So what do you want, princess?” Jack asked, princess…another name he called me, that one always managed to make me smile no matter what. “Erm, I think I’ll have this massive bag of marshmallows” I said and threw the bag at him “Alright then, princess, you go wait outside and I’ll be right there” he said, I nodded and walked out the shop and pulled out my phone. After about a minute I got a BBm from Barry saying “Your hair looks beautiful today xx” I looked at my screen, frowing my eyebrows in confusion “Wha-?” I started but felt hands cover my eyes “Guess who” I heard Barry’s voice; I smiled and took his hands away and turned around. “Glad to see you’re back, lil red” Barry said and he hugged me, I smiled at the nickname and hugged him back. We pulled apart when Jack walked out the shop “Here ya go, babe” Jack said, he looked up and saw Barry then stopped in his tracks. “What the fuck are you doing here?!” Jack spat at Barry, I rolled my eyes and stepped in between both boys “Jack, leave him alone! Let’s go!” I said and pulled Jack away, I snatched the bag out Jacks hand as he turned back and glared at Barry. “Would you just leave him the hell alone, please?” I said to him and opened the bag of marshmallows. “Kaitlin, he slept with my mum for god’s sake!” Jack snapped at me, I stopped walking and stared at him “Would you stop fucking moaning? At least you still have your fucking mum!” I shouted at Jack and stormed off down the road towards school. “No Kaitlin! Wait, I didn’t mean it like that I’m sorry!” I heard Jack call after me but I didn’t turn around, just kept walking. I started to slow down a little when I heard footsteps behind me “Jack just leave me the fuck alone!” I snapped and carried on walking “Good thing it ain’t Jack then, ain’t it?” Barry said, I stopped and turned around, smiling when I saw Barry’s face in front of me. “Figured you’d want company to walk to school with” Barry said, shrugging with his hands in his pockets. I nodded and we started walking together “So, you alright then, Kaits?” Barry asked, I sighed and looked at him “Not really, no” I said letting a sad smile creep onto my face. “You wanna talk about it?” Barry asked, I thought for a moment, I’d normally talk to Jack about this stuff but since I’d snapped at him Barry would have to do. “It’s just upsetting me more that Jack gets annoyed whenever I talk to you, just cause of what happened with you and his mum…It kinda annoys me because he’s moaning about his mum when I don’t have one any more…” I said, quietly. Barry stopped and looked at me, I turned to him raising an eyebrow “What?” I asked, Barry smiled at me and grabbed my hand. He bent down and pulled me on his back, I smiled and allowed him to give me a piggy back the rest of the way to school. “Waay, Kaitlin’s back!” I heard someone shout as Barry put me down, I turned around and saw Phoenix, Scout, Jade, Rhiannon and Harley walking towards me, I waved to Barry and went over to my friends. Phoenix gave me a massive hug, I smiled and wrapped my arms round him and gave him an equally huge hug. “You wanna piggy back, red riding hood?” Phoenix asked, I smiled and nodded. Phoenix bent down and I jumped on his back, I wrapped my arms round his neck as he walked towards the school with Scout, Rhiannon, Jade and Harley following behind. “Jade what we got first?” I shouted back from Phoenix’s back “Maths with Chalky” She said, I nodded and jumped down from Phoenix once we were in the school. “Come on then, Jadey Padey” I said and held out my arm for her to take. She took my arm and we walked in the opposite direction to the others and headed towards our maths class. “Right, settle down everyone” Chalky said but none of us stopped talking, I was sat next to Jade like normal but looked up when I saw the door open. “OI!” Chalky shouted at the class, everyone went silent but I grabbed my bag and walked out “Kaitlin!” Chalky shouted but I ignored him and walked away with Jack. “Look, Kaitlin, I just want to say how sorry I am for what happened at the shop, I just lost it and didn’t think, I truly am sorry, babe” Jack said as we walked outside, we walked over and sat down under a tree “It’s fine, Jack, I over reacted too myself” I said, Jack lent back against the tree and let me lie back and rest my head against his chest.