Chapter 18: Good bye father

Everyone had already left the house when I was ready “Well thanks for waiting” I mumbled to myself and quickly shut the door and locked it before walking off not even bothering with breakfast. I walked up the path and waited for 10 minutes for Barry for didn’t show up, I groaned in annoyance and stormed off to the school just as it started to rain. I’d put on a skirt and had actually made an effort for once on the day that it rains and nobody waits for me, typical. I trudged along the pavement until I saw the school gates in sight and groaned again in annoyance, as I got closer to school I saw the reason for Barry not turning up but I was still annoyed at the fact that he hadn’t even bothered to text me so I stormed past him and walked into the school and over to my locker. I shoved my bag inside and hit my head against it a little, I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open, I sighed and turned around walking through the corridor and up the steps to my dad’s office. “Morning Sonya” I said as I walked inside, “Morning babe, you’re gonna have to wait. He’s got someone in there at the minute” Sonya said, I nodded and sat down on the sofa, “You ain’t gotta magazine I could read have ya, Sonya?” I asked after a couple of minutes, Sonya bent down and rummaged through her bag before handing a Chat magazine over. I thanked her and sat back, reading it. I’d been sat on the sofa for about 5 minutes when the reception door opened and I smiled when I saw Carol “Hiya babe” she smiled at me then went over to Sonya, I wasn’t really listening to what they were saying but looked up again when my dad’s door opened, I watched him talk to Carol then looked behind him at a rather official looking man coming out “Instead of just waiting around how about that tour?” he asked, looking at my dad, it was only then that he actually noticed “Course…Actually, Kaitlin how about you come with us, show Mr Bain here what you’ve been up to?” my dad said, I looked at him before sighing and passing the magazine back to Sonya “Yeah sure” I said and got up from the seat. “Robert, this is my daughter Kaitlin, she’s an art student at this school but has also become popular with her talent for singing” my dad, he put his hands on my shoulder and I just looked down in embarrassment. I walked out with my dad and Mr Bain and just walked behind them as they went round some of the classroom, once we got to the art rooms I basically shot inside and went over to my coursework, I pulled out what I’d finished and what I was working on and put it out in front of Mr Bain “Wow, Kaitlin, these are amazing. Have you ever considered art school or a profession in the arts?” Mr Bain asked as he looked through my art work, I smiled in embarrassment a little “Not really, I mean I’d love to be an artist but I’d also love to be a singer too and we don’t really have enough money for me to go to art school” I said, I watched Mr Bain scanning through my work and saw him smile at it which made me feel more confident about it “Well I’m sure if you showed an art school how great you are, a scholarship could be thrown into the mix of things” he said as he finished looking through them I placed them back carefully and thanked him for his comment before walking out with my dad and him. I walked with them up to the PRU and stood beside my dad as we stood in the hall way part of the PRU, I smiled a little when I saw Barry actually sitting down and doing his work, I was just stood there watching him and didn’t even realise my dad had left with Mr Bain until “Can we help you, Kaitlin?” Miss Boston asked once she’d opened the door, I looked behind me and saw my dad and Mr Bain waiting for me “Oh” I said and spun around walking away “Boyfriend?” I heard Mr Bain ask and I watched as my dad nodded before walking away again. “Right Kaitlin, you can go back to class now” my dad said, I just nodded and walked back up to my English classroom. “Sorry miss” I said to Christine as I took my seat next to Jack “No it’s fine, Kaitlin” she smiled at me and handed me my Macbeth book.

At the end of double English, I walked out with Dynasty, Kevin, Connor and Imogen and stood outside talking with them all when I saw Barry walking out with his mum, we all stood there and watched them they all turned to me when Barry waved me over. “Best go, the little prince is calling” Dynasty said, I gave her the evils then walked off over to Barry, he wrapped his arm round me and walked me through the gates with his mother. “Right, Kaitlin. I need you to try and keep Dynasty and Kevin away from each other until I can get something sorted” Carol said to me, I stared at her for a second as what she’d said registered in my brain. I pushed Barry’s arm off me “No, I’m not going to stop Dynasty from being happy just because you can’t accept it. You accepted me and Barry so there’s no reason why you can’t accept Dyn and Kevin. Kevin’s a lovely guy who treats Dyn like a princess so no, I won’t try and keep them away from each other” I said and walked away, back over to my friends. After break I had art then met up with Dynasty when the bell went for lunch, we walked to the canteen together just talking and laughing before getting some food and sitting down together, it was great having Dynasty back as my best friend, it just felt right. “So you’re telling me that my own mother tried to get my best friend to stop me and Kevin seeing each other?!” she snapped, I looked at her and piled some more food in my mouth before nodding “That bitch” she muttered, “Dynasty don’t say that” “But it’s true, she is a bitch” “No she’s not, Dyn. You might think that now but you won’t when she’s gone, you still have your mum around, I don’t. I’d love to even have a mum like yours if it meant having a mum” I said, Dynasty looked at me then looked down “I’m sorry…I just don’t understand why she can’t just be happy for me” she said, I just shrugged and finished my dinner before going outside with her to meet Kevin, Connor and Imogen. I stood with my friends for the whole of lunch and when the bell went for the end of it, I walked with Kevin and Connor up to Science while Dynasty and Imogen went to Maths, once we were inside the classroom I hadn’t even been in there for 5 minutes when my dad knocked on the door. “Can I have a word with Kaitlin please?” he asked, Miss Fairclough nodded and I walked out with him. “What’s up, dad?” I asked a smile on my face, “We’re leaving. We’re leaving here. Tomorrow. I’ve resigned as head and I think it’s best if we move back down to Rochdale” dad said, I just stared at him, stunned. “Are you fucking kidding me?! I’m not going anywhere and I’m certainly not going back to that shitty place! Don’t you realise how many shit memories I have down there?! Wayne? Ashleigh? Kyle? Eugene? The prom? Tariq? Denzil? I’m not going back their dad and you can’t make me” I snapped at him and ran my fingers through my hair “Well we’ll go to Newcastle then, be closer to your hospital for your cancer treatment I-“ “Dad, I’m not leaving! I don’t care where you suggest we go; I’m staying up here in Scotland. My friends are here, my sister’s only half an hour away, my last few memories of mum are here, the boy I’m in love with is here dad I’m not leaving” I snapped before shoving the door open again and walking back inside, I sat and watched as my dad walked away before getting on with my work again.