Family is only skin deep: Chapter 18

It was the day after the resilience camp or lack of it, I hadn’t slept all night, I hadn’t eaten and I’d somehow managed to get to the point of dragging a blade across my pale skin again. The revisited feeling of the cold metal was still tingling on my arm as I jumped into the shower and washed away the now dried up blood, I was careful not to bump into Christine while I went from the bathroom to my bedroom and quickly pulled on my school uniform ignoring the soreness I felt when I yanked my cardigan on. Once I was dressed I did my hair and make-up and ran down the stairs where Christine had made both me and her breakfast, we ate in silence then drove to school, again in silence. I sad bye to Christine and got out the car just as someone else was getting out the car beside us “Chalky!” I exclaimed when I saw it was my old Maths teacher, he smiled and turned around to face “Morning Kaitlin!” I said happily, I turned around when I heard Dynasty and Kevin’s voice and walked over with Mr Chalk. I watched as Kevin and Mr Chalk talked to each other then walked inside with Dynasty, going over to my locker to put my bag away, by the time I turned around she’d gone. I sighed and walked over to Imogen as I saw her walk through the door “Hallo ha” I said to her and she smiled and we hugged before walking to form together, it’s weird to think that I couldn’t stand Imogen last term and now she was one of my best friends. “You seen Mr H recently?” Imogen asked and winked at me, I looked at her and elbowed her lightly before laughing “No, he didn’t answer any of my texts last night but ah well” I said and just shrugged as we walked into our form room, Dynasty wasn’t here yet so we sat down together and started talking. We’d been talking for about 5 minutes when Dynasty walked in, she was wafting a brown envelope around and I grabbed it out her hand and read it “Aw well done babe!” I exclaimed to her once I’d read the letter, it wasn’t an acceptance letter but the police wanted to interview her or something “So proud of you” I said and let Imogen read the letter as Mr Lowsley read out the register and told us the messages that we needed to know about.

When the bell went for the end of form I walked with Dynasty and Imogen to PE, that’s when it dawned on me…I’d have to get changed, everyone would see my cuts. I nibbled at my lip a little and just stopped walking “Kaitlin?” Dynasty asked and came over when I started to panic, I felt arms around my shoulders and I was walked into the changing rooms and sat down on a bench “Kaitlin just breathe in and out it’s fine it’s okay” Dynasty was saying to me, I did what she said and breathed in and out trying to slow my heart rate. After a few minutes I calmed down and looked at Dynasty “D-Don’t tell Christine, pl-please” I said to her and Dynasty just nodded, she hugged me then started getting changed as well. I took a deep breath and took my stuff into a toilet cubicle, I quickly got undressed and changed into t shirt and shorts. I sat on the toilet until I heard every girl walk out then waited a couple more seconds in the silence before walking out with my uniform in hand, I went over to my bag and pulled out the small make up bag that was inside. I was about to pull out my bronzer to cover my arms when someone walked in, I spun around to see Gabriella stood there, I watched as her eyes looked down at my arm then back at my face. “Oh my god” she said, I watched as she laughed at me then walked out again. I took another deeps breath and proceeded to plaster bronzer all over my right arm, I shoved my converse on my feet and walked out into the sports hall where everyone had already started playing netball “Sorry sir” I said to Mr Reid and he just nodded as I went over to Dynasty and Imogen, I looked over at Gabriella and she just smirked at “Are you feeling okay now?” Imogen asked and I just nodded as I started to play with the others. PE sort of dragged really but eventually we went back into the changing rooms and got changed “I’ll catch up with you” I said to Dynasty and Imogen as they walked out the door, I was alone now or so I thought. I was packing my stuff away when I heard a small cough behind me “Stay away from Barry or I’ll tell everyone about your little secret” Gabriella said to me then walked out, I stared after her then sat down on the bench. I brought my knees up and hugged them as a single tear fell from my eye, I soon pulled myself together when I heard Mr Reid shout from outside “Is anyone left in there?” I grabbed my stuff and walked out the door, I didn’t look at Hector at all, I didn’t look at anyone just kept my head down and walked to my next class. Art.