Family is only skin deep: Chapter 4

“And look who’s come to stay with us tonight” Maggie said when we were all in the dining room eating dinner, I wasn’t paying attention since I was doing coursework as well as eating but Rhiannon slapped my arm and I turned around to see Ashleigh walking inside. A Huge smile spread across my face as I stood up and she let out a shout of ‘mummy’ and came running over, smiling I gladly picked her up and engulfed her in a hug. “Her foster parents are running late with work and the babysitter cancelled, said you’d be happy to have her” Maggie told me and I smiled as I sat down on the chair again, bouncing Ashleigh on my knee. Most of the kids in the schoolhouse hadn’t really met Ashleigh yet since I’d always gone to her house rather than brought her here so they all came over to see her. “She’s proper cute, Kait” Rhiannon said and I let my new best friend hold her which Ashleigh apparently loved as she sat giggling the whole time Rhiannon had her. Ashleigh had come with pyjamas and clean clothes and all the things she needed so at 7 o’clock Maggie let me give her a bath and I got her into her pyjamas. While bathing her, Maggie had done a blow up bed and sorted out some blankets so at 8 o’clock I tucked her into bed and read her favourite book which she had also come with. “Night princess” I whispered to her and kissed her forehead before getting up off the floor, I turned on the nightlight she’d brought and shut the door slightly and went downstairs. “She asleep?” Maggie asked quietly and I nodded before going into the dining room again to finish my coursework and I went to bed at about 1 o’clock when I’d finished.

 I woke up earlier than I normally did the day after, I got straight into the shower and quickly got dressed, putting my hair up in a bun to dry. I quickly got out Ashleigh’s clothes and woke her up “Hiya love” I said to her and she smiled sleepily, rubbing her eyes. I picked her up and took her and her clothes into the bathroom, I brushed her teeth and washed her face and under her arms before pulling on the dress she’d come with and pulled her pants up. I brushed her hair slowly and lightly before chasing her down the stairs and leaving her with Maggie so I could go back upstairs and get ready properly, doing my hair and make-up. “Will you tell Lowsley I’ll be late in, taking Ashleigh round to her foster parents” I said to Rhiannon as we walked up the drive, Rhiannon nodded and hugged Ashleigh before we went the opposite way down the street and I walked Ashleigh back, hugging her tight when we had to say good bye.  Once I’d stood and talked with Georgina for a couple of minutes, I said bye and stuck my earphones in as I walked along the pavement and blasted out Pierce the Veil as I went to school. “Ahh, nice of you to join us” Mr Lowsley said when I walked into the classroom they were using for the Waterloo Road Junk-tion or whatever it was, all I knew was that I was the only girl doing it with Barry, Kevin, Connor, Darren, Harley and some other lads. “Sorry sir, had to take Ashleigh back home” I told him and he nodded as I went over to where Connor and Kevin were, I pulled my hair back and tied it up “So, what have we got?” I asked and went through the clothes, decided what would sell better than other’s and what probably wouldn’t sell at all.

The bell had already gone for first period and I was sat with Barry and Darren, helping them to decide the items that would sell better when Miss Boston walked in. “Aye, are you going to the party later, miss?” Darren asked when she was about to walk out, me and Barry looked at each other then over at Darren again. “Sounds like you’re asking me on a date” Miss Boston said and I burst out laughing “Aw yes, Miss” I said and high fived her as Darren tried to cover it up “I just meant that are you with the other teachers?” he said frantically and I carried on laughing while putting out some more of the things onto the table. “Relax, Darren. It’s a joke” Miss Boston said and she walked out, the smirk still plastered on her face from what had happened, I turned back to Darren and laughed again “Ah, she bombed ya out there, mate” Barry said and everyone laughed as Darren looked down in embarrassment. I looked at Barry and rolled my eyes as I stopped laughing “So who are you taking then, Darren?” I asked him and leant forwards on the table, leaning my elbows on it. I watched him as he looked at me then saw his eyes glance down, “Nah…I-I wouldn’t take any of the girls from this school” Darren said and I did a sarcastic gasp and sat back off the table “And what’s wrong may I ask with the girls at this school?” I asked and raised an eyebrow, looking at Barry. “Well er what I meant was that the only decent girl is you and your Barry’s lass” Darren stuttered and I laughed a little, I saw Barry glance at me almost hurt in his eyes but I dismissed it and looked back at Darren. “I might o’ been Barry’s lass last year, Darren” I said and got up from the chair I was sat in, “Going for a slash, sir” I said to Mr Lowsley and walked out the classroom before he could object.