Chapter 11: First day blues

I was awoken by my dad banging on my bedroom door and shouting “Come on, Kaitlin, get up I’m going!” I groaned and sat up in bed, glancing at my clock. It was half 6 in the morning. After a couple of seconds I heard my dad run back down the stairs and eventually heard him shout bye before he slammed the door shut after him. I groaned again before flopping back down on the bed and grabbing my phone off the side, as soon as I’d picked it up it flashed with a message “Got the car, will pick you at half 8 babe xxx” it read from Barry, I quickly jumped out of bed and ran into bathroom to get a shower.

At half 8 exactly I walked out the front door and locked it before turning around and smiling when I saw Barry in his new car, I ran up the path and jumped into the passenger seat “Nice one Barry” I said and kissed him quickly before pulling my seat belt on and holding on as Barry speeded away. It was a little scary watching him speed along the road but I could see he was having fun so I just held on tighter making my knuckles go white, before I knew it we were at the school gates. The only reason I actually realise we were there was because I jumped when I heard Barry push down on the horn of the car. I looked up to see some weird kid standing like right in front of the gates and car, he looked like he didn’t even know what a shower was and it was disgusting. I watched Barry as he “parked” the car then jumped out as soon as he’d stopped “Jesus Christ, Barry, there’s a speed limit for a reason” I said and smiled when Dynasty came over “Is he speeding again?” Dynasty asked and I just nodded “Sorry babe” Barry said, he came and kissed me before letting me go off with Dynasty. “Wait, before we go to form I just need to go talk to my dad about something” I said, Dynasty nodded and we walked down the corridor towards the staff room, lucky for me my dad had said I didn’t need to knock before entering that room so I just walked inside quietly then stood near the door when I heard he was talking. I listened intently as I heard him say about the new deputy head and almost froze in place when he said it would be Miss Boston. I hated Miss Boston and I had since the day I met her, I found her rude and obnoxious. “You’re joking right?” I suddenly piped up when he actually announced it, I hadn’t meant to speak it just sort of came out and I wish I’d kept my mouth shut because nobody had noticed me up to then. “Kaitlin I said you could enter without permission at break and lunch not before form. Now get out please” my dad said, I bit my lip a little and nodded before walking out. “Guess what?” I said to Dynasty as soon as the door shut behind me “What?” She asked, leaning towards me “Miss Boston’s the new deputy head” I said, Dynasty raised an eyebrow before I nodded and we walked away.

We didn’t go straight to form, me and Dynasty just sort of sat around in the entrance hall talking with Robbie, as soon as the bell went I smiled and watched Dynasty and Robbie walk to form then I got up and walked towards Mr Clarkson’s office. I didn’t even knock on the door, I just pushed open the door and walked inside but once I’d looked around I only saw Miss Boston. “You’re supposed to knock before entering office’s, Kaitlin” Miss Boston said, I wasn’t paying attention at first since I’d just noticed the new kid sitting at the table “Erm where’s Tom?” I asked, looking back at Miss Boston “It’s Mr Clarkson to you and he has gone to sort some things out so please can you leave so I can sort Fergal out” Miss Boston, I’d always been allowed to call Mr Clarkson by his first name and I didn’t appreciate Miss Boston saying otherwise “Miss, not gonna lie but I always call him Tom and he doesn’t mind and me and him have our talk today, I mean it would have been with him and Sian but she’s not here and I don’t feel comfortable talking to you about my problems so if you could just point me in the direction of Tom I’ll be out of your way” I said, a smile spread across my face, obviously Miss Boston thought I was being cheeky as I wasn’t expecting the next thing to be said “Go to the cooler now, Miss Byrne!” she all but screamed at me. I glared at her before pulling the office door open and walking out, slamming it as loud as I could before walking down the corridor and into the cooler. There was never a teacher in there during form period since nobody was expected to be sent to the cooler that early into the school time table so I threw my bag across the room out of anger then kicked the door shut and turned over a table. I stood there a second just staring at the table I’d managed to throw over then slid down the wall in tears.